A few questions to POD users

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hello,

I am buying a POD XT with all model packs in place in few hours and I've a few questions:

- How do I recognize wether the POD does actually have the packs as the owner affirms?

- What latency do you guys get with pod connected thru USB instead of line in of your soundcard?

- Anything else you recommend me doing/check pre/post buying this piece of handy gear?

Thanks

1. When you first turn it on, one of the bootup screens says "Model Packs Installed:" and shows Icons for the ones you have. Mine shows the "Classic" and "Metal" icons, for instance.
2. I've never recorded via USB because in order to do that, you need to select the Pod USB Audio Driver. In order to do that, you have to deselect your regular Audio driver (ASIO or whatever), which makes recording in a sequencer such as Cubase or Sonar very difficult. The good news is that some people have done tests over at Line6's forum comparing a USB recording VS. a line-in recording, and the difference is negligable. With even a half-decent soundcard, they're indistinguishable.
3. A good tip for people buying used PodXTs: make sure it's in the Studio Direct mode when you first turn it on (if you're not running Pod through a real amp, that is). Mine was in the "Stack Poweramp" mode, and when I played the first few notes, I got that funny feeling in my stomach that happens when you feel like you wasted a significant bit of cash.
Also, check the Line6 forums and look around to see what sort of problems people are having with it. That's a good tip for buying anything these days.
Oh, and one last one: download Kazrog and Diobolic's presets, if you're getting the metal pack. They're very nice.

A Gruesome Discovery said:
2. I've never recorded via USB because in order to do that, you need to select the Pod USB Audio Driver. In order to do that, you have to deselect your regular Audio driver (ASIO or whatever), which makes recording in a sequencer such as Cubase or Sonar very difficult. The good news is that some people have done tests over at Line6's forum comparing a USB recording VS. a line-in recording, and the difference is negligable. With even a half-decent soundcard, they're indistinguishable.

Dunno about Cubase, but in SONAR if you go into the Audio settings and make sure both your sound card and the PODxt USB driver are selected as input drivers you can use it alongside your regular card. Just set the input on the track to that and the output to wherever you want to monitor from. I use a M-Audio Delta 66 currently and this is how I use it.

Muttley

Nostalgiaplatz said:
Hello,

I am buying a POD XT with all model packs in place in few hours and I've a few questions:

- How do I recognize wether the POD does actually have the packs as the owner affirms?

- What latency do you guys get with pod connected thru USB instead of line in of your soundcard?

- Anything else you recommend me doing/check pre/post buying this piece of handy gear?

Thanks

1. As AGD said, you get the logos for the model packs installed flash up when you power the Pod on.
2. Can't remember the latency through the USB, I'll check for you when I'm back on my main machine.

Muttley

Muttley said:
Dunno about Cubase, but in SONAR if you go into the Audio settings and make sure both your sound card and the PODxt USB driver are selected as input drivers you can use it alongside your regular card. Just set the input on the track to that and the output to wherever you want to monitor from. I use a M-Audio Delta 66 currently and this is how I use it.

Muttley
I was unaware of this; can you send/record simultaneously (reamp) alright? That's where I run into trouble with the drivers.

I was unaware of this; can you send/record simultaneously (reamp) alright? That's where I run into trouble with the drivers.

I haven't tried reamping with it yet so I'm not sure about that.

Muttley

Thanks fellas! It rocks :)

I already have kazrog's patches, where can I get diabolic ones? I didn't have time yesterday to test it the way I want to, but I will be doing tests tomorrow at the studio :)

I guess he is using WDM drivers in Sonar, they give somewhat bigger latency but as they are not exclusive like ASIO, you can use different audio cards, and mix their inputs and outputs. With ASIO only one card can be active at the time. (except if they are linked cards of the same manufacturer)

Dushan S said:
I guess he is using WDM drivers in Sonar, they give somewhat bigger latency but as they are not exclusive like ASIO, you can use different audio cards, and mix their inputs and outputs. With ASIO only one card can be active at the time. (except if they are linked cards of the same manufacturer)

Can't remember which driver I was using TBH, and as I posted the audio card to a mate who bought it off me (I'm upgrading to the 1010) yesterday, I can't find out. ;)

My 1010 is arriving towards the end of next week, so I'll check out the latency and other issues when I've got it all set up again :)

Muttley

Muttley

Wow, haven't been here in a while.. didn't know people were still using my patches. PM me if you want em. They're also posted somewhere to download.. don't remember where. Anybody?