H&K Tubeman Metal Possibilities (Beat POD?)

DrFreudstein

New Metal Member
Jan 24, 2006
Hello all, my first post on this awesome forum!

I have been trying to record metal rhythm guitar direct into my pc for years now, and have never managed to get it good enough!

I have a v-amp which sounds weak and plastic, I have used a friends POD v1 which sounds better, but still plastic. Amplitude is OK, but thin, Guitar Rig, no no no... I have tried a distortion pedal into convolution impulses of amps, still not quite right.

I know the answer is mic up a real amp, but i am not in a position to do this.

I was thinking of trying a POD XT with metal packs, but really don't want to pay for all those useless amp models and features, all I want is a decent metal tone that sounds REAL. I won't be using any built in effects, i have all my favorites in cubase.

I spotted this on gear sluts forum, and wondered if anyone cared to comment. The tubeman is not digital, so should avoid the dreaded false/trick tone of the amp modelers?

"Here's the deal- I've done LOT's of direct guitar recording,here's what I've learned:1)Nothing beats a great amp/cab/mics/pre/ad converter period!!(Duh,we all know this)but if we need to go direct the best sounding box I've found is the hughes & kettner Tubeman.It's not modeling,but a real preamp(12ax7)with 3 channels(clean,crunch,lead).I did a little shootout with the POD ,POD XT,Vox's modeling box,Yamaha DG Stomp,and hughes & Kettner Tubeman. In order from best to worst: 1)H & K Tubeman,2)Yamaha DG Stomp, 3)Vox modeling box, 4)Old POD, 5) POD XT
I record LOT's of HEAVY guitars(Rage,Pantera,Slipknot,etc).I KNOW what heavy is,and I Promise you that guitar rig,amp farm,etc. SUCKS for real deal heavy! If you get the H&K Tubeman,into a good mic pre with DI(I like the chandler LTD1(neve1073)Gooseing the eq,through a good a/d converter(Apogee),you WILL get a wicked ass tone! Also try a boss ns-2 gate before the Tubeman.
Happy moshin'!!!"

gmo, gearsluts forum

I have read conflicting opinions on if the tubeman can make a decent metal sound out of the box. If the speaker emulation built into the tubeman was no good, I could try using impulses again as the speaker sim (it has a bypass). There are some good impulses at www.noisevault.com

Heres the tubeman link http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=11 .Its about £200 in the uk.

Any input, I would be very grateful, DTFM!!

Cheers!

David

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second, this guy sounds like a moron, the guy you qouted. He is claiming that the original POD sounds better than the PODxt for heavy guitars? I mean...are you kidding me? The PODxt has revolutionized amp modeling, and has opened up sooooo many people's eyes to using modelers in the first place. You should stick around and check out all of the PODxt clips we have here on this forum, there's a ton, and they are all great heavy tones for metal. The original POD is muddy and just sucks...from my personal experience with Yamaha's DG Stomp, it's pure crap. I wouldn't even trade two bottles of piss for it...especially not over even the original POD. The PODxt blows it out of the water.

From the soundfiles on the H&K website, I personally would NOT use that pedal. Ever. For anything. Maybe southern rock. No, I still wouldn't use it on that. I gaurantee you a PODxt with the Metal Shop packs is much better than that thing. You spend what is it...$300 on the bean PODxt, and $49 on the model packs...you can even get a PODxt off of eBay for much less.

I'm actually curious to hear some of this guy's "heavy" recordings with this thing.

~006

006 said:
From the soundfiles on the H&K website, I personally would NOT use that pedal. Ever. For anything. Maybe southern rock. No, I still wouldn't use it on that.

I'm actually curious to hear some of this guy's "heavy" recordings with this thing.

~006

Hehe never trust the manufacturer's soundfiles! I have no idea if the thing is any good, but decent gear is often 'supported' by the manufacturer with surprisingly awful soundfiles. I am curious to hear some heavy recordings with that tubeman.

Holy shit, cheers RazorJack, I just tried guitar suite...

Have i gone mad, or is this 10 times better than every other modeler I have heard... and free!?

I have ran it next to guitar rig 1.2 and amplitube 1.0 and this seems somehow real where the others are fake. Maybe I am just telling myself to hear this as it is free and it would make the world a better place to find free things are better than paying!

Would you or anyone else care to comment on guitar suite vs others, or maybe I have just missed the thread (where is the bloody search button on this site?)

Going to see if i can get some early candlemass type sounds out of it now :)

David

DrFreudstein said:
Holy shit, cheers RazorJack, I just tried guitar suite...

Have i gone mad, or is this 10 times better than every other modeler I have heard... and free!?

I have ran it next to guitar rig 1.2 and amplitube 1.0 and this seems somehow real where the others are fake. Maybe I am just telling myself to hear this as it is free and it would make the world a better place to find free things are better than paying!

Would you or anyone else care to comment on guitar suite vs others, or maybe I have just missed the thread (where is the bloody search button on this site?)

Going to see if i can get some early candlemass type sounds out of it now :)

David

Guitarsuite is the best software amp sim I've heard, I prefer my POD XTLive for tracking/demos as I love the 5150MkII model but for Marshall tones Guitarsuite is the shit!!

Yeah, thankfully Jack got to it before me. I've become a total GuitarSuite fanboy in the last few weeks. I've never heard an amp modeller sound this organic under high-gain, even if you are just limited to a very Marshall sound. But even in that regard, it's amazing, because it actually sounds like a goddamned marshall! Not like the other amp modellers when you don't know what the hell they were trying to model, and why they say its meant to be a Mesa or whatever.

Here's something I recorded quickly with it a week or so ago and posted up here. It's nothing special, with no bass or anything, but it sort of demonstrates how it can end up sounding in a mix.

http://users.tpg.com.au/afiteam/solo_comp.mp3

DrFreudstein said:
Hello all, my first post on this awesome forum!

I have been trying to record metal rhythm guitar direct into my pc for years now, and have never managed to get it good enough!

I have a v-amp which sounds weak and plastic, I have used a friends POD v1 which sounds better, but still plastic. Amplitude is OK, but thin, Guitar Rig, no no no... I have tried a distortion pedal into convolution impulses of amps, still not quite right.

I know the answer is mic up a real amp, but i am not in a position to do this.

I was thinking of trying a POD XT with metal packs, but really don't want to pay for all those useless amp models and features, all I want is a decent metal tone that sounds REAL. I won't be using any built in effects, i have all my favorites in cubase.

I spotted this on gear sluts forum, and wondered if anyone cared to comment. The tubeman is not digital, so should avoid the dreaded false/trick tone of the amp modelers?

"Here's the deal- I've done LOT's of direct guitar recording,here's what I've learned:1)Nothing beats a great amp/cab/mics/pre/ad converter period!!(Duh,we all know this)but if we need to go direct the best sounding box I've found is the hughes & kettner Tubeman.It's not modeling,but a real preamp(12ax7)with 3 channels(clean,crunch,lead).I did a little shootout with the POD ,POD XT,Vox's modeling box,Yamaha DG Stomp,and hughes & Kettner Tubeman. In order from best to worst: 1)H & K Tubeman,2)Yamaha DG Stomp, 3)Vox modeling box, 4)Old POD, 5) POD XT
I record LOT's of HEAVY guitars(Rage,Pantera,Slipknot,etc).I KNOW what heavy is,and I Promise you that guitar rig,amp farm,etc. SUCKS for real deal heavy! If you get the H&K Tubeman,into a good mic pre with DI(I like the chandler LTD1(neve1073)Gooseing the eq,through a good a/d converter(Apogee),you WILL get a wicked ass tone! Also try a boss ns-2 gate before the Tubeman.
Happy moshin'!!!"

gmo, gearsluts forum

I have read conflicting opinions on if the tubeman can make a decent metal sound out of the box. If the speaker emulation built into the tubeman was no good, I could try using impulses again as the speaker sim (it has a bypass). There are some good impulses at www.noisevault.com

Heres the tubeman link http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=11 .Its about £200 in the uk.

Any input, I would be very grateful, DTFM!!

Cheers!

David
I have a Tubeman here, using it for a year occasionaly, at some gigs. It is not bad, but even if there is written in big letters "Guitar Recording Station" I could hardly make any use for it except for a live gigs, it works decent with good amp, if you want that kind of sound... And that is not your favorite metal chugga-chugga tone, be sure about that.

I have tried it in every possible combination, even using it as a preamp and then adding cabinet modelling with impulses and pluging into Tubeman first and then into POD. That is just tottaly different philosophie about tone, as some has said, you may end up with decent southern rock. It does not have enough definition for tight riffs and lines.
You will be better with Line6 or Sansamp stuff, definitely. If you have heard those rough demo mp3's, yup, that is how Tubeman sounds direct, maybe even worse.

Nitro... Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you get info about dead shape figure using guitarsuite?

thats just crazy that guitarsuite is this little 120KB .DLL file. =)

EtherForBreakfast said:
Nitro... Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you get info about dead shape figure using guitarsuite?

thats just crazy that guitarsuite is this little 120KB .DLL file. =)
One of the band members made a thread a while back saying that he and his bandmates used a plugin for the gain on the guitars. He made us guess as to what it could be.

He then revealed it was this free GuitarSuite VST thingy. :)

I guess when you strip away all greed and corporate wankery from a team of people, they seem to focus on more important things, namely, creating a functional product.

Much respect to SimulAnalog.

How are you guys running your signal into the PC with GuitarSuite. Unfortunately i dont have a good MIC PRE, i do have a M-Audio Transit ...probably much better than my standard sound card but still not GREAT ...

I been having issues getting goo tones with it.

Any suggestions on settings ?

Or any presets on the net i could start with as a point of refrence ?

Da Fukn Guru