How would one improve the POD sounds?

Jun 2, 2005
The fact that i have a POD XT straight into the soundcard.. i am quite happy with the sound so far, but i want a more, thicker sound coming from the POD now.. i have a gibson explorer loaded with zakk wylde's EMG's, into a POD, into the soundcard..

So i was thinking, what if i took a nice pre-amp in between the that chain? like "the brick" or another pre-amp.. would that really make my sound more thick? more aggressive? i feel it needs something, since the POD XT sounds are good, but a bit thin though..

any suggestions on this one?

Thanks in advance!

I have a behringer mic-200 laying around here somewhere, but that cheap thing did absolutely nothing for me at all, and i have no further pre-amp experiences beside that one..

Black neon bob said:
The fact that i have a POD XT straight into the soundcard.. i am quite happy with the sound so far, but i want a more, thicker sound coming from the POD now.. i have a gibson explorer loaded with zakk wylde's EMG's, into a POD, into the soundcard..

So i was thinking, what if i took a nice pre-amp in between the that chain? like "the brick" or another pre-amp.. would that really make my sound more thick? more aggressive? i feel it needs something, since the POD XT sounds are good, but a bit thin though..

any suggestions on this one?

Thanks in advance!

I had a Rocktron Gainiac that I used to run in front of the POD every now and then. It was only one tube, but it made it sound a lot thicker for sure...more natural sounding. It's definitely worth trying.

hey bob a thing that i tried. i got this mixer thing amp that's kinda old. ( see picture )
and i pluggen my podtxt in it, and then the tape output ( that red, white thing behind it ) to the computer. becuase you can change the freq. of the sound the podxt sounds
allot thicker now. the tone's are much brighter, fuller, more powerful.

hopefully this helps.

Heres a clip I recently did with my PODxt. The drums/bass/ piano are programmed...guitar comes in at about :30 seconds so you may want to fast forward to that part. If you like it, heres how i did it:

-Rhythm parts are 2 tracks of SLO model, 2 tracks of Recto model. I pan 1 recto and 1 SLO left, and the other Recto/SLO right.
- On the guitars, all frequencies 80 hz and down I cut. Same for 12.5 khz and up.
- Used Andy's waves C4 preset, though you can get away with not using it. It just adds a bit of tightness
- Don't use any reverb or anything like that on the rhythm tracks, and go VERY sparingly if you use it on lead tracks. It just makes the tone distant and muddy.
- The number one tip for massive POD sounds is to KEEP THE GAIN AS LOW AS POSSIBLE while still maintaining the tone you are looking for.

-Joe

The emulated tube screamer in the POD XT sounds pretty good, and if you don't have the real thing it should suffice. I highly recommend putting your EMG 85 in the bridge position, that will make a huge difference!

OverDriven said:
Heres a clip I recently did with my PODxt. The drums/bass/ piano are programmed...guitar comes in at about :30 seconds so you may want to fast forward to that part. If you like it, heres how i did it:

-Rhythm parts are 2 tracks of SLO model, 2 tracks of Recto model. I pan 1 recto and 1 SLO left, and the other Recto/SLO right.
- On the guitars, all frequencies 80 hz and down I cut. Same for 12.5 khz and up.
- Used Andy's waves C4 preset, though you can get away with not using it. It just adds a bit of tightness
- Don't use any reverb or anything like that on the rhythm tracks, and go VERY sparingly if you use it on lead tracks. It just makes the tone distant and muddy.
- The number one tip for massive POD sounds is to KEEP THE GAIN AS LOW AS POSSIBLE while still maintaining the tone you are looking for.

-Joe

Dude, I dig the clip. I love that shit with harmony. Sweet.