a friend got beat up for being a bush fan

deadair

Overly-Cryptic Jake
tawd2024: dude are u there
indieradioisdead: for a quick second i am
tawd2024: nate got the shit beat out of him yesterday by some punks who were ripping his bush/cheney sticker off of his car, he confronted them, they attacked him, he landed in the hospital
tawd2024: no kidding
indieradioisdead: WHAT
indieradioisdead: oh man, that is out of control
tawd2024: he's find now, just some bruises and a black eye but...yeah...out of control

A few months ago some friends of mine who live in an on-campus apartment had a brick thrown at their window displaying a Bush/Cheney sign. The saddest part is that they aren't necessarily all that pro-Bush (I think they're more anti-Kerry than they are pro-Bush) and the main reason they put the sign up was only because their neighbors had a Kerry sign in their window.

bush_office_helper.jpg

things are really heating up in my local city council campaign too - I like in a town that's like a square mile and there's all sorts of crazy flyers and emails going 'round accusing the other side of an endless list of things. it's out of hand- and it's not even dem vs rep, it's left vs. leftier.

"Lisa Dupler, a 33-year-old from Columbus, held up a rainbow-striped John Kerry sign outside the Nationwide Arena on Friday, as Republicans streamed out after being rallied by George W. Bush and Arnold Schwarzenegger. A thickset woman with very short, dark hair, Dupler was silent and barely flinched as people passing her hissed "faggot" into her ear. An old lady looked at her and said, "You people are sick!" A kid who looked to be about 10 or 11 affected a limp wrist and mincing voice and said, "Oh, I'm gay." Rather than restraining him, his squat mother guffawed and then turned to Dupler and sneered, "Why don't you go marry your girlfriend?" Encouraged, her son yelled, "We don't want faggots in the White House!"

The throngs of Republicans were pumped after seeing the president and the action hero. But there was an angry edge to their elation. They shrieked at the dozen or so protesters standing on the concrete plaza outside the auditorium. "Kerry's a terrorist!" yelled a stocky kid in baggy jeans and braces. "Communists for Kerry! Go back to Russia," someone else screamed. Many of them took up the chant "Kerry sucks"; old women and teenage boys shouting with equal ferocity."

I put up a big TEAMSTERS FOR KERRY poster in someone's office this morning (we aren't union, which I thought added humor to a good cause), and two people tattled to the boss (a Bush supporter) already, who had the sign taken down. A few weeks ago all stickers were asked to be removed on company trucks, but the few W. stickers were allowed to be kept.

Anywho, I just hung the sign up in my office. Maybe I'll get fired!

I wussed out and put the sign halfway behind my door. It's to signify a stifled political voice, and to keep me from getting in trouble.

And yes, I'm waiting for it to be over as well. I've seen physical attacks from both sides and it's disgusting. I'm all for being passionate about politics but I wonder how many people that have thrown rocks through Bush or Kerry supporter windows will even vote tomorrow.