A GREEK review of Damnation

Well, I did my best (sorry if it doesn't meet up to your standards :p):

"Opeth is really a band that holds surprises back for their fans. Even if - I must admit - their kind of music is pretty hard to approach for someone who is not into extreme music, I didn’t hesitate to firstly obtain their previous release, “Deliverance”, and then gladly accept “Damnation” as a present.

Certainly, on the first listening I found out that its title is manipulative, because behind it, one can find “deliverance” and not “damnation”. I was surprised by the simplicity, the sensitivity and its hypotonic feeling. There are no brutal vocals and Mikael Akerfeldt seems to let himself loose and bring his magic, dream voice to light. In accord with the great melodies of the 8 songs, an insuperably sweet, dreamy, but melancholic feeling is created.

Porcupine’s Tree Steven Wilson was a determinant to this, as he is familiar to this sound. He took the production of the album in his hands, as he did with the keyboards and background vocals.

I wouldn’t like to mark a song out, because it’s preferable to think of them as a whole, which will enable us to delve further to the feeling offered by the band.

In simple words, I think “Damnation” is an A-S-T-O-U-N-D-I-N-G release, from the band most people believe has a lot to contribute to the metal (and progressive) genre in the future.

From what the band says, there won’t be another release of the same style, as they consider it just an “experiment” on their music path. They point out though that their succession of aggressiveness, anger and melody will dominate on their upcoming works. Just for your information, “Damnation” is their 7th release.

I can’t hold myself back and I will rate it 9/10 (thanks to daydreamer), just because I think that “excellent” has to do with the whole course of a band and in relation with the releases of all the other artists."

Well no, I just thought you would appreciate the translation, which you did not :p

Maybe I'll check it out later. I'm on an exam period right now.. grrrrr...

TheMindzI said:
Well no, I just thought you would appreciate the translation, which you did not :p

Maybe I'll check it out later. I'm on an exam period right now.. grrrrr...

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to TheMindzI for translating the review!!
It's really GREAT!!!

how was that? :loco:

I'm on an exam period, too. Have patience... Be successful!!!