A&H GSR24M

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I didn't have any luck with the custom search. Anyway, have you checked out this mixer? Apparently it combines a 32-channel FW interface and converter, 24 preamps, DAW controller with touch-sensitive motorized faders and a 5.1 monitoring section in one. And oh yeah, an analog mixer, too ;)

Here's the A&H website: http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/UK/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=115

The motorized version costs 6290€ on Thomann, which is actually pretty damn cheap considering all the features. Looks like this one might be a very decent option for the medium-sized project studio now that PT9 is interface-free.

My favourite feature of this is that the faders can follow the automation you've wrote in your DAW while still acting as a analogue fader. So you can have a fully automated analogue summed mix.
Awesome!

Generally it looks really nice however there are some things I'd prefer to be different. DAW Controller: Couldn't find any info if this allows for fader banks. Otherwise it would be the first 24 channels on your DAW's mixer or what? Interface/Converters: Don't really want that. Instead I'd LOVE to have post-fade analog outs. That way I could drive the preamps as hard as I like without ruining the signal for the converters because I could adjust it with the fader. Signal path quality: Assuming I run external HQ converters and preamps: Are the components of this board good enough to not ruin the signal? I'd mainly use a board of that size for routing and monitoring and maybe for the EQ when recording. Not sure if this product would be right for that.

Why? I mean coming from Allen & Heath I'm sure it's more than ok but at this prize the components (Pres, Converters, etc.) just can't be more than consumer range.

Generally it looks really nice however there are some things I'd prefer to be different. DAW Controller: Couldn't find any info if this allows for fader banks. Otherwise it would be the first 24 channels on your DAW's mixer or what?

I have never heard of a DAW controller that would have static faders, so I really can't imagine why that would be the case here, either.

Interface/Converters: Don't really want that. Instead I'd LOVE to have post-fade analog outs. That way I could drive the preamps as hard as I like without ruining the signal for the converters because I could adjust it with the fader.

It's not just a controller with preamps, it's actually a real mixer, and the faders function with analog audio, too.

Signal path quality: Assuming I run external HQ converters and preamps: Are the components of this board good enough to not ruin the signal? I'd mainly use a board of that size for routing and monitoring and maybe for the EQ when recording. Not sure if this product would be right for that.

This is naturally something we can't know for sure until the product is out, but assuming the design is mostly the same as it's little brother, the quality should be fine to say the least. Of course it will never be an SSL, but then again, it doesn't cost $50.000 + commission, does it?

Generally it looks really nice however there are some things I'd prefer to be different. DAW Controller: Couldn't find any info if this allows for fader banks. Otherwise it would be the first 24 channels on your DAW's mixer or what? Interface/Converters: Don't really want that. Instead I'd LOVE to have post-fade analog outs. That way I could drive the preamps as hard as I like without ruining the signal for the converters because I could adjust it with the fader. Signal path quality: Assuming I run external HQ converters and preamps: Are the components of this board good enough to not ruin the signal? I'd mainly use a board of that size for routing and monitoring and maybe for the EQ when recording. Not sure if this product would be right for that.
There's actually a Analogue IO card available for it, I'm guessing it's pre-fade though.

The pre's are the best that A&H have EVER had in ANY of their boards. I'm not sure if they'll sound nice driven hard as A&H has always been about clean, transparent pre's with just a bit of sweetness in the high end (imo)
I'd assume the rest of the board is pretty good too to be honest, A&H have always represented VERY good value for money (again, imo)

Jarkko, I guess you are right about the DAW controller stuff. Just haven't found a highres pic of the master section on the A&H website that would allow to make any final judgements about that.
I think you got me wrong about the Interface/Converters part. I know that it's a real mixer. What I would be looking for in a board of that size would be the following though:
Preamp (Onboard or external rack unit) -> EQ -> Auxes (for monitoring) -> Fader -> AD (external rack unit)
In my ideal setup the fader controls you much signal is hitting the AD. I dunno if those pres will sound nice driven hard but I'm talking about external units here. Some of them could really use an output pot which in that case would be handled by the fader.

The io card is pre-fade iirc.

And yes, quality/prize ratio is very nice on A&H stuff (can only speak for live consoles though). Not sure if it's up to (semi-)pro studio standards though. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's good. But consider you've got some APIs or whatever. I guess you wouldn't want the board to be the weakest link in your signal chain.

Btw what use could you possibly get from the groups on that board? Unless you are doing analog mixdown as well I can't thing of any use for them. And even if you were doing analog mixes two stereo groups would hardly be enough.

Found two videos:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnr2woN4o0E&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTDJ-wRX4A&feature=related[/ame]
Maybe it even is doing what I would want it to do. :) Still doesn't have the option for external AD. :(

Still wouldn't solve the signal going out there probably being post-gain/pre-eq. I had thought about that option though. Will see what the manual says about it once they release it.

Normally A&H consoles have a wee jumper under the chassis to choose between pre and post fade operation on the direct outs.

A quick look at the block diagram for the console reveal this:
Picture1-4.png

So it looks like you could have it running the way you want dude :)