A huge complaint re: The Residence

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
The service at the Residence has gone downhill quite a lot over the years. Despite this, it still is the best one in the area. I wasn't able to get booked last year for it so I was determined this year. I tried as soon as the dates were announced but they told us it was too early. They told us 'try again in November' -- so we did. Still nothing. Try back again later they told us. We tried again around Christmas with no luck.

Today I call them up because I want to know WHEN I can actually book a room. 'Oh they're sold out'. They never tell me the proper date that the rooms will be available (though they did give me a date...it was just wrong). There isn't a waiting list (or at least thats what we were told).

I have some choice words for them, but I will keep this post clean.

I'm in the same boat. I missed out on the Artmore this year so I've been trying the Residence every few weeks and still nothing. IIRC, you can book as far ahead as late August and have been able to since December.

Is THAT what was going on? I thought they just still hadn't started taking reservations, but I was just checking online; I haven't talked to anyone there.

What a crock. I guess I'm not staying near the venue or my friends this year. :(

I've been checking at least once/week since September and the week of ProgPower has shown as blocked off every time I look, and as far as I know, no one going to ProgPower has been able to book a room. One of two things is going on:

1) They just haven't gone on sale yet.
2) We got unlucky this year, Music Midtown is the same weekend as ProgPower, and they negotiated a lock on the hotel for that week(end).

I'm hoping the rooms just haven't gone on sale yet, because it's the best mix of convenience, amenities, and being able to sleep peacefully.

I've been checking almost twice a week...........same thing, so I'm thinking they still haven't gone on sale yet. I think I ran into this last year.

THEY FINALLY OPENED IT UP FOR RESERVATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S DIFFERENT THIS YEAR THOUGH, THEY WILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD ONCE YOU RESERVE, YOU CANNOT CANCEL.

I just called them, and they said they're sold out.

Did they say they were just sold-out of the block they opened today? Someone said they got the same initial answer and they explained about the pre-pay block and they came back and booked them after finding out they needed a code to see the available rooms in the system.

I just got off the phone with them... I told them what you (Glenn) said in your post, and they said there was no "block" of rooms, they were just making the reservations based on the best available rate at the time, and that they did, indeed, sell out.

I'm pretty pissed, because I've been checking almost every day on the website since I got back from last year's fest, and nothing has been available the whole entire time.

It's coming up "no rooms available" online. I'm texting with Sarah, and she says she sees the rooms available. I don't know WTF the difference is. This is frustrating.

I just got off the phone with them... I told them what you (Glenn) said in your post, and they said there was no "block" of rooms, they were just making the reservations based on the best available rate at the time, and that they did, indeed, sell out.

I'm pretty pissed, because I've been checking almost every day on the website since I got back from last year's fest, and nothing has been available the whole entire time.

Did you try booking online? I just looked online and they still have rooms available for booking. It says the 2 room suites are almost sold out, that's it.

I still can't see the rooms online for some reason... but apparently it's $400/night for Friday and Saturday??? Never mind... thanks for your help everyone, but, as it is winter and the money tree in my backyard does not currently have any leaves on it, I will stay elsewhere.

I still can't see the rooms online for some reason... but apparently it's $400/night for Friday and Saturday??? Never mind... thanks for your help everyone, but, as it is winter and the money tree in my backyard does not currently have any leaves on it, I will stay elsewhere.

No, $209 for a studio & $229 for a one bedroom suite. I logged out of my Marriott account, checked as a guest and they are still there....you are checking the 17th street Res Inn, right?

No, $209 for a studio & $229 for a one bedroom suite. I logged out of my Marriott account, checked as a guest and they are still there....you are checking the 17th street Res Inn, right?

When I look - logged in or as a guest - it says "3 nights: $169, 2 nights $399" for a Tues-Mon reservation in a studio. When I pick the check-out day as Sunday, it comes up with nothing available.

When I look - logged in or as a guest - it says "3 nights: $169, 2 nights $399" for a Tues-Mon reservation in a studio. When I pick the check-out day as Sunday, it comes up with nothing available.

Marriott.com? I changed it to Thurs-Sun...it still says $209 Studio (now it says Almost Sold Out) and $229 for a 1 bedroom suite. I wonder if they give different rates depending on where in the Country you are searching from....that's weird. And the only way I could get away w/out prepaying is if I did the AAA rate, at like $179 for a studio, no other room types available w/ AAA

Yup, Marriott.com. No pre-pay rates ever turned up for me. Weirdness.

Edit: when I clicked on AAA rates, for the studio or one bed, and then looked at the detail before clicking reserve, it was still $379/night for Fri/Sat nights.

Yep, when I put your dates in, I see your prices. When I put in Tuesday-Monday, the rates for Fri-Sat double in price. But when I put Tuesday-Sunday, the rooms show up as being sold out.