A huge photo thread.

If Europe was your aim then crossing the Atlantic would be the most costly part. You can get around Europe on a really tight budget after that if you really wanted to. Every country, apart from the UK, has a State-run rail service, which means you can buy tickets that allow you to get all over the place and save a tonne of money.

Furthermore, if you really don't mind long journeys, buses are even cheaper. You can buy a 5 week pass for a bus and provided you book the next destination two days in advance can go pretty much anywhere. I got from Vienna through Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Budapest and back with an Austrian friend pretty cheaply.

Karen is right, making excuses about funds speaks more to other neurosis about travelling. It doesn't take long to save a little and just go somewhere.

My job just wouldn't allow it, or else I be probably be making my way overseas. I have family in Rome, so I think it would work out.

If Europe was your aim then crossing the Atlantic would be the most costly part. You can get around Europe on a really tight budget after that if you really wanted to. Every country, apart from the UK, has a State-run rail service, which means you can buy tickets that allow you to get all over the place and save a tonne of money.

Furthermore, if you really don't mind long journeys, buses are even cheaper. You can buy a 5 week pass for a bus and provided you book the next destination two days in advance can go pretty much anywhere. I got from Vienna through Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Budapest and back with an Austrian friend pretty cheaply.

Karen is right, making excuses about funds speaks more to other neurosis about travelling. It doesn't take long to save a little and just go somewhere.

No, see, Glenn basically has $0. Literally. He's not being neurotic. He has NO MONEY.

Money's not a problem, and I could always find a way to write a lot of it off as a business expense. I'm just not really so interested in travelling all that much.
It's always great to see other places, but I really loathe flying, especially out of the country (not a fear of flying, just everything associated with flying).
I actually like long journeys. Whenever I go from Michigan to New York (or the other way around), I usually get a private room on the train (which is usually around 20 hours) and enjoy the scenery. I enjoy it a lot more than the 1 hour flight.

Traveling with low funds IS VERY easy. It all depends on YOU and how spoiled you are.
If you take out air fares, like Derek said, you can pretty much travel with as low as $40 a day and be fine.
I traveled all over Europe like that -
That was 2001 and was my first real "traveling with a back pack" for longer than a month, trip. I slept at Hostels (which was awesome BTW, you meet more people that way) and ate cheap food, and saved on costs.
I took trains everywhere in Europe, and saved a lot of $$$.
It can be done, it's up to you though.

The next time I did it though, in 2002, I did the "cheap" hostels/ food for about 50% of the time though. I became spoiled :D

In Greece I slept in my tent every night except three, one night in a disgusting hotel in Thessaloniki and two with a friend in Patras. In Europe finding places to tent is usually very easy except in the very biggest cities of course. Just walk to the outskirts of town and there's usually woods aplenty. I spent less than 100 euro in Greece with 9 days there. Hiking the Long Trail in Vermont I spent less than $300 in a month and we spoiled ourselves often with lots of alcohol and cheeseburgers (the absolute best things on Earth along with sex and weed perhaps when you're on a long trip) and an expensive rustic hotel with a night of drinking there one night.

Lioness: Thanks for your comments. :) Whenever I think of the world "travel" the associated picture in my mind is a door with "Life" written on it and a key in my hand.