a little question about melodeath metal

loveMikael

Challenge the Universe
Jul 3, 2007
Beijing China
i am not quite sure about this:
melodic death metal=Scandinavian death metal,and Gothenburg sound is just a Branch of the Scandinavian death metal。is that right??i used to think Gothenburg sound=melodic death metal,i thought i was wrong。

and another question:why some people hate melodic death metal(nowadays),because it is became a mainstream metal music or lots of band have the same pattern of writing music??:lol:

Melodeath = Gothenburg folk metal mixed with death metal (i.e. Dark Tranquillity, Scar Symmetry, In Flames)

Melodic Death Metal = Death metal with melody incorporated in it (i.e. Kataklysm, Vader)

And why do people hate Melodeath? One word: Metalcore.

and another question:why some people hate melodic death metal

You get all sorts of elitists who will only want to hear the way things used to sound.

My band Lycanthia cop a bit of flack from those strictly into traditional Doom, we are Doom influenced but we also have a melodic death metal sound because we have melodies and growling male vocals.

I'm curious to find out what you think of our sound.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lycanthia/398872-lycanthia-discography-mp3-samples-lyrics.html

s

I don't think anyone knows anymore. Melodeath is just a generalization liberally applied to a lot of bands. Once upon a time DT and In Flames were supposed to be the best examples of this style...

Whenever any style of music gets big enough to breed a faction that takes it to the extreme, that faction will despise the less extreme sound.

Pretty much. It's also... cultural? Younger metalheads look up to their more extreme kin. When I was in college, I remember a friend of mine nostalgically recounting how good it felt when he was playing in Eastern Europe or something (think it was Poland), and the older metalheads who had been to jail were nodding approvingly at the music. Extreme = commitment to a lot of people. In metal, where historically the idea of breaking taboo (thanks Mr. Halford and Osbourne) is so important, you're going to find a lot of this sentiment among the rank and file.

I'm a pussy myself, I like poppy and cheesy bands like Sentenced and Nightingale. But hey, to each his own...

the older metalheads who had been to jail were nodding approvingly at the music.

Being to jail has nothing to do with it.

The older Metallers you speak of are just open minded. Even the older band members who wrote the music in the first place being musicians would be more accepting of new music.

Kids want to rebel and be more kvlt, extreme and elite than anyone else so they trash anything that doesn't conform to their strictly set criteria.

s

Being to jail has nothing to do with it.

The older Metallers you speak of are just open minded. Even the older band members who wrote the music in the first place being musicians would be more accepting of new music.

Kids want to rebel and be more kvlt, extreme and elite than anyone else so they trash anything that doesn't conform to their strictly set criteria.

s

Of course! Didn't mean to suggest there's a particular way of being "extreme" and "metal," just that youngins' like to have their folk heroes.

I'm not saying older metalheads are all ex-convicts, either, but the rebel / criminal element has an appeal for a younger audience. It's the same way rappers try and play up whatever criminal record they have. It's not a flattering analogy, but being "dangerous" and "extreme" is certainly appealing to male youths, which is the largest demographic of metalheads. It is in part a macho thing. Notice how few teenagers are aware that the black leather and spikes they wear were imported by Rob Halford from gay biker gangs (at least, that's what Halford claims). =)

I am not an old elitist, but I cannot stand metalcore. I think it lacks talent musically, most metalcore bands I have seen live are dull, boring and over-rated. I also dislike most new In Flames songs, it is not that I am a purist, but to me the new 'melodeath sound' (with the exception of dark tranquillity) is just lame in comparison to the original gothenburg sound. I also find that the fanbase of new In Flames, Soilwork etc. etc. is made up largely of people who don't like the old gothenburg sound, and find these new bands an extension of the metalcore/hardcore/emo rubbish they tend to listen to. I hate the bands DT tends to tour with at the moment, The Eastpak Antidote tour for example, I think caliban are one of the least talented bands on the planet.

The worst example is the kind of fans the band Arsis attract, they tour with bands that are self-confessed emo/hardcore bands and yet they used to be the pinnacle of modern melodic death metal. It makes me sick this kinda thing. :OMG:

I think it's hilarious how melodeath and melodic death metal are totally diffeent things

Some people really have problems I envy them for

the rebel / criminal element has an appeal for a younger audience.

I agree, the funny thing is a friend has spent time in gaol and he said he was surprised there were no Metallers there. Some of the hardest crims were fans of bands like The Eagles and the heaviest stuff he heard there was Cold Chisel - it was hell for him but he did end up buying CD's he wanted to listen to and most of the guys there hated it.

These days many Metallers are computer and internet nerds.

s

I think it's hilarious how melodeath and melodic death metal are totally diffeent things

Some people really have problems I envy them for

You just, like, distilled my thoughts and saved me handing out a few "fuck you"-s for no reason :lol: