melodeath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2009
im sorry this is a total noob question and statement, but i somtimes have trouble telling the difference between melodeath and metal core, and then with certain bands like amon amarth i may not have heard enough to judge, but they sound almost like regular death metal during the melodic parts lol, but a band like scar symmetry or sonic syndicate, it sounds pretty metalcoreish

Metalcore bands often play with melo-death structures or riffs nowadays, it's kind of a trend I guess. They throw in the notorious hardcore breakdown which usually consists of chugging guitar lines with lots of deadspace between notes and a much more abrupt transition than breakdowns found in other genres, esp. death metal.

Melo-death bands are like old/mid-period Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Cipher System, etc. who may use these breakdowns here and there but not to the same effect as a totally "metalcore" band. I agree, sometimes it tends to get confusing as recently there's been a lot of crossover with these two genres and a lot of bands that once you could tell were total "melo-death" in the original style have been peppering in metalcore breakdowns...but, I digress. Essentially, you just need to listen to a lot of stuff and decide from there.

kk thanks, yea idk i dont really think i like the genre too much as a whole because i hate metal-core and alot of melodeath sounds the same, but at least most melodeath musicians dont suck as much haha but i like some bands like amon amarth so i'll take it from there lol thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.