Insomnium - Similar bands (Guitar work) - Melodic Metal

AltF4

New Metal Member
Sep 19, 2007
I am currently looking for bands that have that Insomnium-like guitar work.

I have noticed the similar bands to Insomnium are categoried as Finnish Melodic Death Metal.

Currently found Similar bands:
Noumena
Mercenary
Sonic Syndicate
Wintersun
Amorphis
Norther
Scar Symmetry

Preternatural (kinda)
Kalmah (kinda)
Amon Amarth (kinda)
Darksun (kinda)
Nightrage (kinda)
Disarmonia Mundi (kinda)

Examples of what I am NOT looking for:
In Flames
Children Of Bodom
Arch Enemy
As I Lay Dying
Dark Tranquillity
Dimension Zero
Mors Principium Est
The Black Dahlia Murder

Thanks for your help =]

Daylight Dies & Saturnus are equally good and similar, and Novembre and Swallow the Sun are also more similar to Insomnium (Better considered a melodic death/doom band than just chirpy melodic death) than those rather peppy bands you mentioned, IMO.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Yea Opeth is pretty good, I just wish they didn't do that Deep Cookie Monster growl all the time, but it seems they do a lot of instrumental mixed with vocals stuff which is awesome. They dont really have that finnish melodic edge, but they are close. So still a good band =] They kind of remind me of a mix of in flames with lamb of god.

Oh and Daylight Dies ---> Wow fucking awesome band.

Im still checking out the others. If anyone else has suggestions please list.

Or even some best instrumental melodic metal.

I don't know of any wholly instrumental bands, just the occasional good instrumental song, Falkenbach's awesome song "Gjallar" being the most recent.

Ok I will check it out.
Ugh its totally sucks how vocals make or break bands in my opinion. If Insomnium just played their riffs without any vocals, I would say that they would be the best damn band ever created. Yet I am still in search for that sweet spot.

Those cookie monster vocals in death metal truly sound horrible at times. The best solution if they did want to have vocals would be to actually sing instead of growl, or have a mix like Amorphis.

House Of Sleep by Amorphis is a perfect example of control vocals mixed with those melodic death metal riffs

I mean if bands are gonna use the growling, howling, and devilish vocals then they can atleast do it right like those demonstrated by devildriver. Those are controlled cookie monster vocals giveing emphasis not negativity (unlike Arch Enemy bearly understandable growls throughout, allowing for no interpretation of what is being said to be heard)

like those of Devildriver?

*Shrug* they sound like any core metal to me, hardcore, deathcore, ya know, As I Lay Dying type shit.

Eh, hmm I dont know, they register differently in my mind. As I Lay Dying seems more like Arch Enemy vocals to where you cant understand, but eh idk.

I can't really see what criteria you used to distinguish the list of "similar bands" from the "examples of bands I am NOT looking for". I mean, surely Mors Principium Est is more similar to Insomnium than Amon Amarth or Wintersun. So it's hard to help you

I can't really see what criteria you used to distinguish the list of "similar bands" from the "examples of bands I am NOT looking for". I mean, surely Mors Principium Est is more similar to Insomnium than Amon Amarth or Wintersun. So it's hard to help you

I dunno. throwing in my two cents, I never cared for Mors Principium Est, and Wintersun and Amon Amarth seem to have something more mid-tempo about them like Insomnium.

may just be personal preference, I dunno, but I'd think MPS less similar for that reason (though I haven't heard them too recently)