Melodic Death Metal

Sky Coyote

Mar 24, 2007
I have Character and Fiction by Dark Tranquillity - both are amazing - and I will eventually get their entire discography.

Can anyone recommend melodic death metal similar to Dark Tranquillity? I am aware of old In Flames - it's good.

I am aware of bands like Soilwork and Scar Symmetry, but I honestly find Dark Tranquillity a more rewarding listening experience.

Mors Principium Est seem quite good and I'll definitely be checking them out.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks. :)

Soilwork and Scar Symmetry are fuckin awful IMO.

Eternal Tears of Sorry is about the closest I can think of
Edge of Sanity, Norther, and Suidakra are worth checking out too.

if you don't like Soilwork, be sure to avoid Arch Enemy too

A Canorous Quintet, Enforsaken, and Insomnium aren't bad either, but not so similar, no band really has the same acoustic vibe Dark Tranq used to be so good at before they decided to try and sound harder or whatever they think they're doing now.

do you like Opeth?

if you don't like Soilwork, be sure to avoid Arch Enemy too

A Canorous Quintet, Enforsaken, and Insomnium aren't bad either, but not so similar, no band really has the same acoustic vibe Dark Tranq used to be so good at before they decided to try and sound harder or whatever they think they're doing now.

do you like Opeth?

I like Soilwork, it's just that I find Dark Tranquillity so much better.

Yes, I do like Opeth - simply brilliant.

Cheers for the recommendations.:)

when I posted I didn't even notice the remark about DT's latest two albums, so I focused on their earlier style.

definitely grab these albums

Dan Swano - Moontower
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
Amon Amarth - Versus The World
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Enforsaken - Sinner's Intuition
Hypocrisy - Abducted
Hypocrisy - Virus
In Blackest Velvet - Edenflow
Kalmah - The Black Waltz

Intestine Baalism and Chastisement, can anyone recommend and bands that sound like them? They own hard.