Recommend me some melodic death metal

There are at least three subgenres that are often lumped into the melodic death metal category. The distinction may not be important to some people, but I like to be specific

Melodic Black Metal
- Blind Stare
- Blinded by Faith
- Chthonic
- Dimmu Borgir
- Graveworm
- Old Man's Child

Melodic Death Metal
- The Absence
- Amon Amarth
- Becoming the Archetype
- Dimension of Doomed
- Light This City
- Susperia
- Through the Eyes of the Dead
- Torchbearer

"Melodic Power Metal with Harsh Vocals"
- Blood Stain Child
- Catamenia
- Children of Bodom
- Imperanon
- Kalmah
- Norther
- Sins of Omission
- Skyfire
- Wintersun

That is quite wrong.

There are usually two implications meant by melodic death metal, which causes much argument between the factions advocating either style over the other:

1. Melo-death/"Gothenburg" - Dark Tranquillity, earlier Soilwork, earlier In Flames, Detonation, later At The Gates, etc., etc. Bands don't have to be from Gothenburg or even Sweden or even Europe, though, Gothenburg melo-death tends to be semi-pejorative/offensive but it shouldn't be taken or used as such. Bands lumped in this genre tend to display a distinctly "power metal" outlook on things, rather than a death metal (implied chaos, in this case) approach. There is also an endless argument as to whether or not CoB are melo-death or power metal, since they most certainly blur the line, but the band has speed metal roots on Hatebreeder et al so people mainly refer to them as power metal with harsh vocals. Interestingly, bands that piggyback on their style are called melo-death (Kalmah, Skyfire, Mors Principium Est; anything fast, melodic, keyboardy, and commanding sounding instead of being soaring and epic like most power metal).

Melodic death metal: This is death metal with a focus on melody and melodic/harmonic structures. It still retains the innately chaotic (that word again) feel of death metal, but with a more "accessible" edge. Even still, that is not to say their senses of melody make them automatically appealing; Arghoslent, for instance, are not melo-death, nor are they really pure melodic death metal (a lot of the time they are though)...there's a LOT of old-school heavy metal and some thrash in their sound here and there.

This is basically semantics. I wish lovers of both styles (such as me) could become more prevalent and less people who stick to one camp and close their mind to/berate fans of the other...

This is basically semantics. I wish lovers of both styles (such as me) could become more prevalent and less people who stick to one camp and close their mind to/berate fans of the other...

"Melo-Death ROOLZ, Melodic Death Metal DROOLZ!!!!1"

I've never heard that before myself. I've heard that Emperor are were never a Black Metal band & Slayer are not a Metal band, but I've never heard that argument.

"Melo-Death ROOLZ, Melodic Death Metal DROOLZ!!!!1"

I've never heard that before myself. I've heard that Emperor are were never a Black Metal band & Slayer are not a Metal band, but I've never heard that argument.

Hardly anyone makes the distinction.

Also shut up Matt.

Bands lumped in this genre tend to display a distinctly "power metal" outlook on things, rather than a death metal (implied chaos, in this case) approach.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all...you hear the first couple releases by IF, ATG, etc, sounds more black metally than anything...very bleak atmosphere, sorta experimental, BM voxx. Not the slightest bit power metal. I could see why you might say that about releases like Colony or maybe even The Gallery, but not the early stuff. The Gotenburg scene has a lot of influence on metalcore, but not so much with power metal.

The lyrics are definitely neither power metal nor death metal. On the one hand, there's pretty much none of the random gore and violence associated with death metal, but there's not so much of the swords and sorcery you get with power metal.

I would divide it into melodic death metal and melodic death metal. Some stuff is more focused on the melodies and atmosphere, and isn't very heavy, such as In Flames and Dark Tranquility. Others are first and foremost death metal, with some melody; later Kataklysm. Pointless distinctions; it all rocks. :kickass:

Not true at all...you hear the first couple releases by IF, ATG, etc, sounds more black metally than anything...very bleak atmosphere, sorta experimental, BM voxx. Not the slightest bit power metal. I could see why you might say that about releases like Colony or maybe even The Gallery, but not the early stuff. The Gotenburg scene has a lot of influence on metalcore, but not so much with power metal.

Yes I know that, I said "later At The Gates" and "early In Flames" (circa-TJR, sorry about not making myself clear; I agree with there being somewhat of a folky BM influence on LS/Subterranean and those things).

I would divide it into melodic death metal and melodic death metal.

You're not getting my point; so called melo-death bands are not even close to death metal most of the times. There is hardly any chaos in most Gothenburg melo-death and there is hardly any technicality (unless they play technical melo-death, which is opening another can of worms). If anything, it should be melodic "death" metal (colloquially referred to as "melo-death" or "Gothenburg") and melodic death metal. Such delineations should really not be necessary, but since metalheads are fickle sons-of-bitches :)p), so it must be!

Why do people call Heartwork melodic death? Less heavy than their other releases maybe, but not melodic death. If this is called melodic death why not something like Death's TSOP?

Anyway in my book the pinnacles of the genre are (again not distinguishing b/w melodic death and melodic death):

Amorphis: The Karelian Isthmus
Amorphis: Elegy
Amorphis: Eclipse
Opeth: all
Edge of Sanity: Crimson
Edge of Sanity: The Spectral Sorrows
Edge of Sanity: Purgatory Afterglow (underrated album IMO)
Dark Tranquillity: The Gallery
Insomnium: Since the Day It All Came Down
Insomnium: Above the Weeping World
Disillusion: Back to Times of Splendor (phenomenal album, can't believe no-one has mentioned it yet)
Orphaned Land: Mabool (also phenomenal, but perhaps more prog metal than melodic death)
At the Gates: The Red in the Sky is Ours
Dissection: The Somberlain
Dissection: Storm of the Light's Bane
Dies Irae (Mexico): Naive (hard to find but excellent more technical version of Gothenburg sound)
Amon Amarth: pretty much all
Wintersun: s/t
Sentenced: North from Here
Suidakra: Signs for the Fallen
Children of Bodom: Follow the Reaper

I'm sure there's lots I've forgotten

trust me dude, no one is going to argue with these great melodic death bands

arsis
the forsaken
vehemence
quo vadis
spawn of possession
mendeed
conducting from the grave
necrophagist
DETHKLOK!!!
martyr
psycroptic
holymarsh
intestine baalism

In Flames-Colony (I don't know how you excluded this one but it's definately on the same level as Whoracle)
Children of Bodom - Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Soilwork (very good stuff)
Kalmah - Black Waltz
Devildriver - The Last Kind Words (im not sure if this one fits the genre name exactly, but it certainly has melody and is fairly heavy; hm, wikipedia calls it groove metal :X)
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Naildown
Cadacross

Hardly anyone makes the distinction.

I see what you guys mean, I just never spent too much time thinking of it. I just always made it all out to be like a much more commercial form of Death Metal.

I know tons of Melo-Death bands I reckon, but what are a few good or more popular Melodic Death Metal bands V??

some of these might not be melodic death metal per se, but if i, a lover of both gothernburg 'melodeath' and melodic death metal and everything in between, enjoyed them, than i think you might...

note: im not going to bother looking at anybody elses posts to see if they have these, the effort...

Before The Dawn - The Ghost
Before The Dawn - Deadlight (sort of gothic/doomish)
The Duskfall - Lifetime Supply of Guilt
Fear My Thoughts - Vulcanus (AMAZING, make sure to get Vulcanus as the other are sort of metalcore-y)
The Haunted - rEVOLVEr (how has nobody mentioned them?)
The Haunted - The Dead Eye
Impious - Hellucinate
Nightrage - I like all of their work, but I think that A New Disease Is Born is their best
Wintersun - Wintersun
Norther - Till Death Unites Us