recommend some bands..?

Vox Stellarum

Apr 30, 2003
can anyone recommend some good goth/heavy/death metal...
heres some of the stuff i'm currently listening to:
Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
Suidakra (some thing along these lines perhaps...?)
Arch Enemy
Tristania
Thyrfing
Nevermore
Nightwish
Iced Earth

Thanks....

first:
Megadeth
Slayer
Iron maiden
testament
sodom
destruction
kreator

then:
Amon Amarth
Soilwork(old stuff)
At the gates
Opeth
Amorphis
Children of bodom
Stratovarius

Aeternus (first 3 albums)
Moonsorrow
Vinterland
Finntroll
Empyrium
Darkane
Mors Principium Est
Detonation
Enter Chaos

Vox Stellarum said:
can anyone recommend some good goth/heavy/death metal...
heres some of the stuff i'm currently listening to:
Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
Suidakra (some thing along these lines perhaps...?)
Arch Enemy
Tristania
Thyrfing
Nevermore
Nightwish
Iced Earth

Thanks....

Judging by some of those bands you listed i'll recomend Vehemence if melodic death metal are your thing

The 3rd And The Mortal - "Sorrow" + "Tears Laid In Earth" (IMO the most atmospheric and beautiful goth metal albums - just listen to "Grevinnens bønn" and "Silently I Surrender" on the "Sorrow"-EP or to "Why So Lonely", "Autopoéma", "Death-Hymn" or the epic "Oceana" on the "Tears Laid In Earth"-album -, though probably more goth than metal, and there are - fortunately, I´d like to add - no male growls on these releases, just Kari Rueslåtten´s beautiful voice. She left the band after "Tears Laid In Earth" to start a solo career.)

As for death metal: Have you already tried Death?

I don´t know for which reasons you like Arch Enemy, but if you´re into Angela´s vocals, you might also like Holy Moses (recommended release: "Finished With The Dogs"), though they are more of a thrash metal band and less melodic than Arch Enemy.

If you want to listen to some of the most hauting (female) vocals in metal history, try to get hold of a copy of Fear Of God´s album "Within The Veil".
Their second album "Toxic Voodoo" isn´t bad either, but it definitely lacks the depth of "WTV". The music on "Toxic Voodoo" is less original (except for vocalist Dawn Crosby the line-up had entirely changed) and more death metal-style.

If you like Nightwish, you might like Within Temptation, though Sharon den Adel´s vocals are unlike those of Tarja Turunen not opera-style.

A few fine metal albums (mostly from the eighties) by some (probably not so well-known) bands:
Vicious Rumors - "Soldiers Of The Night"
Anacrusis - "Suffering Hour", "Reason", "Screams And Whispers"
Chastain - "Ruler Of The Wasteland", "The 7th Of Never"
Psychotic Waltz - "A Social Grace"
Coroner - "Punishment For Decadence", "No More Color"
Helstar - "Remnants Of War", "A Distant Thunder", "Nosferatu"

Burkhard said:
The 3rd And The Mortal - "Sorrow" + "Tears Laid In Earth" (IMO the most atmospheric and beautiful goth metal albums - just listen to "Grevinnens bønn" and "Silently I Surrender" on the "Sorrow"-EP or to "Why So Lonely", "Autopoéma", "Death-Hymn" or the epic "Oceana" on the "Tears Laid In Earth"-album -, though probably more goth than metal, and there are - fortunately, I´d like to add - no male growls on these releases, just Kari Rueslåtten´s beautiful voice. She left the band after "Tears Laid In Earth" to start a solo career.)
I second that, one of my favourite bands. "Painting on Glass" is great too.

Opeth is, in my opinion, by far the best band right now (death/black/prog influences).
You should also try Death and then Control Denied.
I f you haven't listened to Testament yet, it is about time.

Death (every metal lover should know this band)
Control Denied
At The Gates
Morbid Angel
Nile
Vader
Vital Remains
Dissection
Emperor
Dark Funeral
Dark Lunacy
Cannibal Corpse
Carcass
Falconer
Krisiun

ANd I'm sure others will help me out.

yeah of course i've heard of death, yeah and i do like it...and of course opeth(dont know how i could forget putting THAT on my list....)
as for some of the new stuff suggested, i loved cynic they're fucking amazing.
i didnt like cryptopsy and nile although...its too hardcore....and couldnt even stand cannibal corpse....

i heavnt yet checked out the other bands, but i will....

i also just got a taste of eternal tears of sorrow from my friend,...they're really good too

Thanks anyways....
\m/ \m/

there is this band that was pretty known in the 80's , probably not enough....i don't think many people know them nowadays, and that's pretty incredible, absolutely a waste.
I suggest you to get the first 3 albums first (try starting with Battle cry ) .
This band is called Omen , and you can't miss them

Check out these bands:

Unholy
Swallow the Sun
Opeth
Arcturus
Thyrfing
Darkwoods My Betrothed
Porcupine Tree
Edge of Sanity
Runemagick
Green Carnation