Emperor
Iced Earth
Immolation
Kataklysm
Meshuggah
Nevermore
Overkill
Vader

And it would be cool if you could recommend some heavy, thrash, death, prog, and black metal bands that aren't very popular but are worthy of recognition. Cheers.

Behemoth- the earleir the better. the new stuff is bad morbid angel worship IMO
Bloodbath- ressurection through carnage. manditory death metal
Carcass- symphony of sickness
Decapitated- nihility
Emperor- ALL! but start with anthems to the welkin at dusk, or in the nightside eclispe
Iced Earth- the blessed and the admned is a good all around collection.
Immolation- all
Kataklysm- meh, not bad, not great
Meshuggah- over rated
Nevermore- dead heart in a dead world, enemies of reality
Vader- all. litany is my favorite

lesser known bands:
augury, psypheria, mortal decay, luciferion, eradykate, kiuas,
~gR~

Behemoth - You'd probably like Demigod or Satanica the best, personally I prefer their earlier BM stuff
Bloodbath - Ressurection Through Carnage
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

satanica is a good middle point. anything after that really looses the BM influence that i like
~gR~

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Behemoth - Demigod (never thought of them as BM <shrugs> )
1349 - all 3 of their albums
Dark Funeral - Attera Totus Sanctus (plus i heard their previous album is good: Secrets of the Black Arts)
Dark Angel - Ultra Violence, Act III , Frolic Through the Park , Art of Dying
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising

Behemoth- You asked for recommendtions on death and black metal bands, so you would probably like the entire spectrum of their music.

Carcass- I personally love every album these guys have released, but you could purchase their Choice Cuts album, find the songs you like on there, then find what album those songs are on, and purchase those albums.

Decapitated- This is another band that I love every album, this band in fact, is probably my favorite death metal band, period. But Winds of Creation is probably their best work.

Immolation- This is another band that I could easily say every album. This bands production has gotten better as their albums went on, Harnessing Ruin's vocals are more audible, bass and guitar parts are clearly heard on Unholy Cult.

Meshuggah- Destroy, Erase, Improve

Overkill- This band is so constant, always putting out albums every couple of years, and good ones too. So many of their older albums are so kick a**, but personally I love Horrorscope, for newer albums I cannot get enough of Necroshine.

Vader- This band is so underrated, also from Poland like the other band you inquired about Decapitated, but they have been at it for way, way longer. Their late drummer Doc was the answer to what a death metal drummer shold be, but was never mentioned alot when the topic of best drummers was brought up. Older albums, Black to the Blind, Sothis (see Doc shine on this), newer, Litany, Revelations. This band may be my second favorite, I can't say enough of how awesome they are

Death Angel- Frolic Through The Park, let me tell you I must have listened to this album hundreds of times when I was in high school, and it is a thrash metal landmark.

On a personal note, my friends here in Central Oregon have an awesome death metal band named Desolation, check them out at www.desolation.info. Their web page has a link to their MySpace page, that has three or four songs from their new album Crucifucked, that was recorded by Vile's Juan Urteaga. They have toured with Deicide, and just did a small tour of their own for the new album. They are originally from Louisana, your neck of the woods, and are honestly some of the cooliest guys you could ever meet. If you do check these guys out let me know what you think.

Behemoth: Sventevith
Bloodbath: Breeding Death
Carcass: Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment
Decapitated: The Eye of Horus
Emperor: Wrath of the Tyrant
Iced Earth: Night of the Stormrider
Immolation: Dawn of Possession
Kataklysm: Sorcery
Meshuggah: Psykisk Testbild
Nevermore: In Memory
Overkill: Feel the Fire
Vader: The Ultimate Incantation

hibernal_dream said:
Behemoth: Sventevith
Bloodbath: Breeding Death
Carcass: Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment
Decapitated: The Eye of Horus
Emperor: Wrath of the Tyrant
Iced Earth: Night of the Stormrider
Immolation: Dawn of Possession
Kataklysm: Sorcery
Meshuggah: Psykisk Testbild
Nevermore: In Memory
Overkill: Feel the Fire
Vader: The Ultimate Incantation
Anything that isn't their first album or a demo is shit huh?

Behemoth - ZKC is their best of their current sound, but their black metal is their best.
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh, really fucking good.
Carcass - Necroticism is their most mandatory one.
Decapitated - Winds of Creation.
Emperor - All.
Iced Earth - First three.
Immolation - meh. Not a fan of, so I can't recommend much.
Kataklysm - Semi-worthless
Meshuggah - totally worthless
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World, Dreaming Neon Black
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Vader - Litany

As for recommendations of other bands.

Garden of Shadows, amazing melodic death. Not the whole Gothenshit sound, but just great death metal.

Enochian Crescent, great black metal. Good guitar work, with melodic leads actually >_>.

Slugathor - Unleashing the Slugathron - Heavy. As. Fuck. Death metal.

The Amenta - Occasus. Great industrial death metal, really just a kick in the fucking face.

Unholy Matrimony - Misologie. "Brutal Black Metal" Great stuff.

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve is worth checking out. It has Future Breed Machine, which is about as close to a perfect song as you can get.

Carcass - Heartwork is a solid melodic death metal album. Everyone else gave you the grind albums, so if that's not what you want, go for Heartwork. Extremely influential album, a few years ahead of its time.

Skip Iced Earth. Unless you're fifteen, you probably won't get much long term enjoyment out of them. If you really want to hear them, go for one of the compilations.

As for Emperor, you're safe with either Anthems or ItNE, but the Scattered Ashes compilation is an awesome buy. Lots of covers that are actually good and some rarities.

Just to put in a rec for Behemoth, because I didn't see anybody do it: Listen to And the Forests Dream Eternally and then progress to other releases.

Behemoth - Satanica
Bloodbath - Breeding Death EP
Decapitated - Winds of Creation & Nihility
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider & Burnt Offerings
Immolation - Close to A World Below & Here In After
Kataklysm - None
Meshuggah - None
Nevermore - None
Overkill - Horrorscope & Taking Over
Vader - De Profundis

Spirit In Black said:
Behemoth - Satanica
Bloodbath - Breeding Death EP
Decapitated - Winds of Creation & Nihility
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider & Burnt Offerings
Immolation - Close to A World Below & Here In After
Kataklysm - None
Meshuggah - None
Nevermore - None
Overkill - Horrorscope & Taking Over
Vader - De Profundis

That's funny because Meshuggah actually does have a release titled "None."

Overkill- The Years of Decay
Behemoth- Grom
Vader- De Profundis
Nevermore- Politics-Godless
Meshuggah suck
Kataklysm- Serenity in Fire
Death Angel- The Ultra Violence
Iced Earth- Night of the Stormrider
Emeperor- Anthems...
Decapitated suck
Bloodbath- Nightmares Made Flesh
Immolation suck
Carcass- Heartwork

Luca Brasi said:
Hey, all. I'd like some album recommendations for the following bands:

Behemoth
Bloodbath
Carcass
Decapitated
Emperor
Iced Earth
Immolation
Kataklysm
Meshuggah
Nevermore
Overkill
Vader

And it would be cool if you could recommend some heavy, thrash, death, prog, and black metal bands that aren't very popular but are worthy of recognition. Cheers.

get heartwork by carcass if you dont already have it. Get an exhumed album, and a necrophagist album if you like technical and gory shit.

Okay well people seem to have covered the better albums of those bands mentioned so I'll offer my other recommendations.

My playlist at the moment includes:

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
November's Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Immortal - At The Heart of Winter

If you haven't got November's Doom, buy it now!!!!!!!!!