The Official Recommendation Thread

Behemoth
Taking influences from Immortal and creating their own more mystical, melancholy BM for a time, Behemoth are these days on the death metal side of things. Unessential, but consistantly decent at least.

Recommended album - Sventevith (Storming Near The Baltic) 7/10

Belenos
At their best, this French band takes a few lessons from LLN in dissonant melody, whilst producing something a lot more contemplative/melancholy than most from that crowd. Have written some more overtly melodic, catchy old-school work too that's fairly enjoyable.

Best work - Notre Amour Eternel demo 7.5/10

Belketre
One of the few worthwhile LLN (Les Legiones Noires) acts, Belketre are typically muddily produced, yet retain a cold, savage quality in their dissonance and harsh vocals.

Best work - Ambre Zuetki Vuordrevartre demo 7.5/10

Bethlehem
Bethlehem are known primarily in BM for Lindfermann's bizarre vocals, but their music approaches being just as disturbing. A hybrid of death metal, black metal and slow acoustic passages, they're one of very few "suicidal" bands I'm likely to name. Not much lasting value.

Recommended album - Dictius Te Necare 7/10

Black Murder
Another LLN band bearing many similarities to Belketre.

Best work - Feasts demo 7/10

Branikald
A very harshly produced (probably moreso than Belketre or Black Murder), proud, epic tribute to Russia.

Best work - Stormheit demo 8/10

More to come.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Belenos
At their best, this French band takes a few lessons from LLN in dissonant melody, whilst producing something a lot more contemplative/melancholy than most from that crowd. Have written some more overtly melodic, catchy old-school work too that's fairly enjoyable.

Best work - Notre Amour Eternel demo 7.5/10

I haven't heard that particular album because it's way OOP, and I refuse to download.

But c'mon, Errances Oniriques is something very special. It reminds me of a more overtly black metal Aeternus, without their tinkering with death metal. Grand, epic, and well written.

Spicilege is also good, but EO is where it's at. Probably my favorite French metal album.

I like Errances Oniriques, it is indeed grand, epic and well-written. It's a little too polished for me though, and not all that unique, unpredictable or moving.

I'm referring specifically to the melody on the demo with that (which, I'll add just as a disclaimer, I haven't heard in fucking ages bar one track). Also, I recall Spicilege being a bit boring but I should probably confirm this.

It's not as "heavy" as Errances Oniriques, so that may be the "boring" aspect of it. However, Spicilege seems to contain more quality in the music.