The Official Recommendation Thread

Power Metal:
Vicious Rumors (at least "Soldiers Of The Night" and "Digital Dictator")

Doom:
Saint Vitus

Thrash:
Accu§§er
Anacrusis ("Suffering Hour" and - to some extent - "Reason")
Death Angel
Détente
Fear Of God (at least some songs on "Within The Veil")
Flotsam & Jetsam
Forbidden
Hades (US)
Heathen
Hexenhaus
Holy Moses
Mekong Delta
Nuclear Assault
Original Sin
Testament
Toxik
Voivod (until "Killing Technology", well maybe you could still include "Dimension Hatröss")
Znowhite

Black Metal/Folk/Viking:
Arckanum
Dismal Euphony
End
Gehenna (early stuff)
Kvist
Limbonic Art
Lord Belial
Menhir
Mork Gryning
Negura Bunget
Rotting Christ
Satyricon
Thyrfing
Weakling

Death Metal:
Elysian Fields
Horrified
Hypocrisy
The Crown

Doom Metal:
Nightfall

Gallantry over Docility said:
Black Metal/Folk/Viking:
Bathory
Belenos
Forefather
Graveland
Hades
Manes
Morrigan
Nachtfalke
Negura Bunget

These get a mighty Hail from me.

May I also add:

Bergthron
Cruachan (first album only)
Geasa
Forlorn (first EP and first album only)
Helheim (Godly stuff here)
Kampfar
Ha Lela
Nokturnal Mortum
Poccolus
Primordial
Zpoan Vtenz

THRASH LIST

Abattoir
Accuser
Alastor
Annihilator
Anthrax
Artillery
Assassin
At War
Audiopain
Aura Noir
Bathory
Bewitched
Bifrost
Blessed Death
Blind Illusion
Bloodfeast
Buried God
Bywar
Cardinal Sin
Carnivore
Celtic Frost
Chakal
Coroner
Cyclone
Dark Angel
DAM
Deadly Blessing
Death Angel
Deathchain
Deathrow
Dekapitator
Delirium Tremens
Demolition Hammer
Desaster
Destruction
Destructor
Detente
Devastation
Devastator
Drunkard
Evildead
Exhorder
Exodus
Exorcist
Expulser
Exumer
Flotsam And Jetsam
Forbidden
Gehennah
Guillotine
Hades
Hallows Eve
Hatework
Heathen
Hexx
Hirax
Holocausto
Holy Moses
Holy Terror
Hypnosia
Incinerator
Incubus
Infernal Majesty
Inferno
Intruder
Iron Angel
Kat
King's-Evil
Kreator
Laaz Rockit
Living Death
Mandator
Massacra
Master
Megadeth
Messiah
Metal Church
Metallica
Morbid Saint
Mortal Sin
Mutilator
MX
Necrodeath
Nocturnal
Nocturnal Breed
Nocturnal Fear
Nuclear Assault
Onslaught
Original Sin
Overkill
Pagan War Machine
Poison
Poltergeist
Possessed
Protector
Raven Bitch
Razor
Ritual Carnage
Sabbat (Jap)
Sabbat (UK)
Sacred Reich
Sacrifice
Sacrilege
Sadus
Sarcofago
Sauron
Shah
Sepultura
Sextrash
Sithlord
Slaughter
Slaughter Lord
Slayer
Sodom
Speed Kill Hate
Stone
Terror Squad
Testament
Thargos
Torture Squad
Torturer
Toxic Holocaust
Toxik
Ulysses Siren
Vendetta
Viking
Violator
Violent Force
Vio-Lence
Watchtower
Whiplash
Wolf Spider
Xentrix

well, not to be a jerk, BUT... could you not have chosen fewer, then given them each a little line on why they're good/what makes them stand out from the crowd? some of it looks more like a "how many bands in a genre can i name off my head* thread at the mo... also, a vote for a band called wolf spider is a vote for silliness!

Nope. That isn't the purpose of the thread. The original purpose was to get recommendations and provide a list of what I have heard, so that people don't recommend the same shit over and over. Then I realized that it could also serve as a list of bands that you could check out in case you were interested.
And it's not a "name as many bands as possible" thread. I only mentioned bands of which I have full albums and have listened to. There would be quite a few more if I listed bands I have heard before, without having heard full albums, and even more so just listing bands I have heard of.

Thanks for trying.

hey man cool off i'm not looking for a fight, all i was suggesting was that in a list of band names under terms as loose as *death metal*, it might well help to suggest why you like them, and to keep it to a smaller list so we could get some discussion going on recommended bands.

With a list this broad, there's not so much focus, so i can't generate much interest to check out any of them- i don't know which to start with within the list itself!

fps said:
hey man cool off i'm not looking for a fight, all i was suggesting was that in a list of band names under terms as loose as *death metal*, it might well help to suggest why you like them, and to keep it to a smaller list so we could get some discussion going on recommended bands.

With a list this broad, there's not so much focus, so i can't generate much interest to check out any of them- i don't know which to start with within the list itself!
lol, I wasn't mad.

lol, sorry for getting nitpicky on it all... which amorphis album would u recommend? I've heard black winter's day and a couple of other tracks, quite liked the spacious nature of it all after holing myself up with suffocation and meshuggah the last week

Gallantry over Docility said:
Black Metal/Folk/Viking:

Abigor
Ad Hominem
Algor
Angantyr
Antaeus
Astrofaes
Averse Sefira
Avzhia
Bathory
Behemoth
Belenos
Belketre
Bethlehem
Black Murder
Branikald
Darkspace
Dark Tribe
Demoncy
Epheles
Forefather
Forest
Fullmoon
Galgeras
Graveland
Hades
Hellveto
Infernum
Kataxu
Kawir
Krieg
Lucifugum
Lugubrum
Manes
Menhir
Mordaehoth
Morrigan
Mortuary Drape
Mutiilation
Nachtfalke
Nagelfar
Necromantia
Negura Bunget
Raven Dark
Root
Rotting Christ
Sarcofago
Sigrblot
Stutthof
Thallium
The Shadow Order
Thorns
Tormentor
Trollskogen
Varathron
Veles
Weltmacht
Wolfnacht
Wyrd
Yamatu
GoD, can you add a bit more detail (such as best album, small description, etc.) for some of the better bands you listed?

Sure, what the hell, I'll do so in pieces though. Just the black metal bands for now, right?

Couple of notes:
My descriptions will be of the album recommended, not necessarily of the band as a whole.

I'll put "recommended" album when I don't have the knowledge to claim one is a band's "best".

Abigor
Vaguely Immortal-influenced in sound, but with a much warmer and drawn out romantic, *cosmic* vibe. Everything from keyboards to female vocals to be found here.

Best album - Nachthymnen 8/10

Ad Hominem
Violent, chainsaw-inspired NSBM from France, but with the glorious and focused spirit that's usually lacking in the "sub-genre". Energetically driven, and the first track of PZ:TE slays from all angles. Far from essential though.

Recommended album - Planet Zog: The End 7/10

Algor
Packed to the brim with effective East European-tinged melodies, Algor write lively, epic old-school BM derived from the likes of Master's Hammer.

Best album - Udér pohanskéhu hnivu 8/10

Angantyr
Delving into the music of bands from all over the early Norwegian scene (particularly Burzum and Darkthrone) as well as ambient, Angantyr aren't particularly unique, but they're varied and manage to be consistantly epic, which pulls them up a couple of notches from the grey line.

Recommended album - Kampen Fortsaeter 6.5/10

Antaeus
Nihilistic, relentless, disturbing and militant black metal that retains calculation, character and melody throughout. Drum-production's slightly too harsh for my tastes.

Recommended album - Cut Your Flesh And Worship Satan 8.5/10

Astrofaes
A product of love for Ukranian land, Astrofaes play a mixture of touching (often acoustic) melancholy passages and rousing, blatantly east-European melodies. Essentially very reflective, contemplative stuff.

Best album - Ancestor's Shadows 8.5/10

Averse Sefira
Immortal gone militaristic, Averse Sefira are an unfaltering war-machine, throbbing mercilessly with warped melody.

Best album - Homecoming's March 8.5/10

*Look out for the new one, samples suggest it may well rival their best work.

Avzhia
Dark, understated, ambient, somewhat seductive BM from Mexico. Reels you in via the gradual development of long epics, with varied instrumentation.

Best album - Dark Emperors 7.5/10

Bathory
The single most important band of the black metal first wave by a considerable distance, Bathory began as a raw Venom-inspired act, then gradually created his own more serious style which would be the main cause of the entire black metal scene. Not content, he then became the primary innovator of more epic, Viking-themed BM too. There is a mammoth amount of quality and historical importance to be found in his discography.

Best album - Hammerheart 9.5/10

More to come.