What do you recommend?

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
I'm trying to get into a lot more music. Before i start asking i want to make sure one thing is clear, If the band isn't likely to be found on kazaa don't suggest it. I know there are some good bands with just a demo out or good bands that no one knows about.

Okay here's a list of what i can remember listening to.

Death Metal/Grindcore(most people will be picky, i'll group it together)/Melo-death: Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Cattle Decapitation, Cryptopsy, Death, Deicide, Decapitated, Dying Fetus, Entombed, Extol, In Flames(who i don't like), Meshuggah(Who i don't like), Nile, Opeth, Obituary, Possessed, Sepultura, Six Feet Under(who i don't like), Zyklon

Thrash Metal/Nu-thrash: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Annihilator, Carnivore, Shadows Fall, Machine Head, Pantera, Exodus, Metal Church, Celtic Frost

Black Metal: Berzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, Ulver, Emperor

Power Metal: Hammerfall, Blind guardian

Other: Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Demon Hunter, Einherjer, and hundreds more not on the top of my head now.

More suggestions? Thanks, oh and i wouldn't recommend the bands i said don't like or anyone similar :loco:

ShadowOfDeath said:
I'm trying to get into a lot more music. Before i start asking i want to make sure one thing is clear, If the band isn't likely to be found on kazaa don't suggest it. I know there are some good bands with just a demo out or good bands that no one knows about.

Death Metal/Grindcore(most people will be picky, i'll group it together)/Melo-death: Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Cattle Decapitation, Cryptopsy, Death, Deicide, Decapitated, Dying Fetus, Entombed, Extol, In Flames(who i don't like), Meshuggah(Who i don't like), Nile, Opeth, Obituary, Possessed, Sepultura, Six Feet Under(who i don't like), Zyklon

Thrash Metal/Nu-thrash: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Annihilator, Carnivore, Shadows Fall, Machine Head, Pantera, Exodus, Metal Church, Celtic Frost

Black Metal: Berzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, Ulver, Emperor

Other: Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Demon Hunter, Einherjer, and hundreds more not on the top of my head now.

More suggestions? Thanks, oh and i wouldn't recommend the bands i said don't like or anyone similar :loco:
death metal-Gorerotted, Darkest Hour, Akercocke, Madman is Absloute
Thrash/Nu Thrash-Assassin, Stampin Ground, Return to the Sabbat, ,Bewitched (Swe)
Black Metal-Hate Forest, Nokturnal Mortum, Hecate Enthroned, Graveland
power metal Iced Earth, Grave Digger, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond

others: Trail of Tears, Twin Obscenity, Length of time, Gonga

Not to sound anti metal or anything, but maybe you should listen to other forms of music, one can become too pigeonholed at times, maybe throwing in a different form of music is what you need to make metal all the more interesting.

speed said:
Not to sound anti metal or anything, but maybe you should listen to other forms of music, one can become too pigeonholed at times, maybe throwing in a different form of music is what you need to make metal all the more interesting.

if your mean recommending non metal for the boy then

My Bloody Valentine, David Bowie, Black Flag, the carter family

speed said:
Definately, like right now I'm listening to a little REO Speedwagon :tickled:

speed said:
umm....i've listened to Punk(which i don't like), and Pop/Punk(which i don't like much either), Acoustic is really cool, Emo is alright for what i've heard, Screamo is great. I like Hiphop, and Latin percussion. I also want to find some Trance and Electronica artists. I've heard techno, and some of it's good. Oh and i like Industrial.

Mind saying that again? That i seem to "only listen to metal" to you? No. I didn't add any other forms of music because this is the metal discussion area, if i wanted other music i'd ask around the non-metal area. But i never get responses.

ShadowOfDeath said:

Here is a list that I didn't see you mention:

Death Metal/Grind:
Aborted
All Shall Perish
Amorphis
Anata
Angel Corpse
Avulsed
Blood Ret Throne
Bloodbath
Capharnaum
Cephalic Carnage
Commit Suicide
Diablolic
Disavowed
Engorged
Eternal Suffering
Fleshgrind
Goatwhore
Gorgasm
Grimfist
Harakiri
Immolation
Incantation
In-Quest
Insision
Kalibas
Leng T'che
Malevolent Creation
Monstrosity
Morpheus Descends
Necrophagist
Nocturnous
Pessimist
Premonitions of War
Psychroptic
Pyrexia
Severe Torture
Svered Savior
Soilent Green
Spawn of Possession
Suffocation
The Chasm
The Project Hate
Unleashed
Yattering

I bolded some of my favorites.......if you need a description or want to know their best release.......let me know

Here are some more misc:

Burn the Priest
Lamb of God
Prayer for Cleansing
Burnt By the Sun
The End
Ion Dissonance
Centinex
Burden of Grief
Callenish Circle
Nightrage
Omnium Gatherum
Kalmah
The Black Dahlia Murder
Carnal Forge
Corporation 187
Dew Scented
Dimmension Zero
The Crown
The Defaced
Watch Them Die

Wow, those are pretty big lists...

has edge of sanity been mentioned? I've been listening to them like crazy for the last week or so.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Harakiri? Who are they? That name rips!
They are pretty brutal and original sounding death metal.....from Willowtip, their stuff is hard to find but it is awesome...........they have a couple acoustic parts thrown into songs with growls over them it sounds so cool

Check out Arsis (see link in sig.). They aren't your average melodic DM band.

And Insision is good brutal DM, I think their site is down (for me at least), but as far as I know www.earache.com has an MP3 or two.

Sinner Rider said:
Why not listen to good old fashion Heavy Metal? There's a ton of good shit.
I already listen to Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and getting into NWOBHM like whitesnake, angel witch, and diamond head. I don't like motorhead either. Motley crue's pretty good but isn't that more glam? Like Def Leppard, Guns n Roses, etc?

Listen to some Jazz and classical it opens new horizons... Try out bands like Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Cynic, Isis, Ephel Duath, Pan-thy-monium, Dan Swano's Moontower, Slugathor, Vital Remains, Dissection, Dark Suns, Akercocke, Farmakon, Agalloch, Portal, Vehemence, Kataklysm, Vader, I can go on but I really don't want to. Check out alot of the band forums featured in ultimatemetal.com alot of them are really good bands.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Listen to some Jazz and classical it opens new horizons... Try out bands like Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Cynic, Isis, Ephel Duath, Pan-thy-monium, Dan Swano's Moontower, Slugathor, Vital Remains, Dissection, Dark Suns, Akercocke, Farmakon, Agalloch, Portal, Vehemence, Kataklysm, Vader, I can go on but I really don't want to. Check out alot of the band forums featured in ultimatemetal.com alot of them are really good bands.

He's right, every band I recognize on that list is worth listening to.

I see one band that used to be grindcore on there.

As for recommendations...

Lykathea Aflame
Ghoul
Behemoth
Shadow
Hemdale
Edge Of Sanity
At The Gates
Vomit Remnants
Morbid Angel
etc.

Death/melo death/grind:

Lykathea Aflame
Cephalic Carnage
Eternal Suffering
Darkane
Enter Chaos
Aeternus (Shadows Of Old album and onwards)
In-Quest
Spawn Of Possession
Suffocation
Rune
Mithras
Into Eternity
Gorguts
Origin
Napalm Death
Pestilence

Black/Viking

Absu
Astriaal
Blut Aus Nord
Windir
Immortal
Ludicra
Mirrorthrone (not black metal in the ''true'' sense of the word, but check them out anyway)
Weakling
Summoning
Taake
Leviathan

Let's see what else I can dig up. Good call on the Mithras, US.

Vomitory
Noctiferia
Psychotogen
Darkest Hour
Gorerotted
Impaled
Nocturnus
Miasma
Ablaze My Sorrow
Skyfire
Tankard
Samael