Recommend Something Different

Somberlain said:
Rehtaf Ruo - Boiled In Goats Blood

I see so many people say this album is great, yet all the songs I've heard from it sounded like generic black metal, with godawful production and vocals which didn't seem to concord with the music at all. What's so good about it?

polarity said:
I see so many people say this album is great, yet all the songs I've heard from it sounded like generic black metal, with godawful production and vocals which didn't seem to concord with the music at all. What's so good about it?

dont you know that somberlain exclusively listens to tr00 n3kr0 black metal?

OK, here's my recommendations:

The Dillinger Escape Plan
- said to be Mike Patton's favorite band. Check out their album Calculating Infinity. Unfortunately, their website does not feature soundclips and is not very informative. I suggest you get your soundclips elsewhere ;)

Spiral Architect
- technical metal at its best (IMHO). Sounds like a cross between WatchTower and Cynic (both great bands as well) and has one of the baddest bassists ever. There's two songs and a video up for download on their website:

www.spiralarchitect.com

Moving Spirit (mp3) - http://www.spiralarchitect.com/clips/moving_spirit.mp3

Insect (mp3) - http://www.spiralarchitect.com/clips/insect.mp3

Serge... said:
Yeah, thanks for the recommendations so far. To answer whoever asked, I'm interested in new stuff from any style, so anything non-metal will do too. I'm checking out some of the bands listed as we speak.

How about something with female vocals minus the cheese (sinergy :yuk: )
Actually, most of the bands I mentioned in my post feature female vocalists and I don´t think you could call them "cheesy". As you said that anything non-metal will do, here are some album recommendations:

Sainkho - "Naked Spirit" (amazing voice!)
Hulu Project feat. Stepanida - "TranceSiberia"
Kate Bush - "The Dreaming" (definitely her most experimental album)
Sussan Deyhim - "Madman Of God"
Parissa & Ensemble Dastan - "Shoorideh"
Mari Boine - "Eallin", "Bálvvoslatjna", "Eight Seasons"
Tactile Gemma - "Tactile Gemma"
The Bulgarian Voices ANGELITE - "Melody, Rhythm & Harmony"
Natacha Atlas - "Gedida"
Sevara Nazarkhan - "Yol Bolsin"
Qntal - "II"
Helium Vola - "Helium Vola"
Egschiglen - "Zazal" (some more overtone singing, a bit like Huun-Huur-Tu)
Fanfare Ciocarlia - "Baro Biao" (if you want to try some "speed brass")

Ahumado Granujo (industrial/techno grind)
The Meads of Asphodel (weird folk/punk black metal)
Epoch of Unlight (technical melodic blackened death)
Wormed (experimental brutal death w/ a crazy concept)
Isacaarum (thrashy blackened goregrind)
Watchmaker (cathartic raw black/grind)
Kronos (insane technical/pretty melodic death)
Saprogenic (groovy brutal death with awesome riffs)
Cephalectomy (crazy-as-shit blackened progressive epic deathgrind)

Tanith said:
Carnival in Coal - Disco/Funk/Black Metal... pretty crazy if you ask me.

From what I've heard of this band, it seemed like all they do is play alternating progressions of either genre, innovating in neither, and being incredibly repetitive in the process. They pretty much define "novelty."

"What does everybody see in this band? So many people have told me they are "genious", yet everything I've heard from them is complete shit."

I agree. It sounds like the greatest compliment this band receives is that their technical. But if this is what people are looking for, there are more technical bands. Plus, these guys couldn't write a song if their life depended on it. Their lyrical content is childish and bleeds through into their compositions (or lack thereof).

This band is certainly not Gorguts.

HannibalGuy said:
What does everybody see in this band? So many people have told me they are "genious", yet everything I've heard from them is complete shit.

Thank God I didn't mention Naked City...

As for DEP, I can see your point, and I'm not going to pull that "You don't understand it" thing out of the bag, DEP is simply a matter of taste. They took a lot of artistic license (if I may say so) and it works for some people (me), it doesn't for others (you).

Oh, btw, I didn't say anything about them being genious...