Bands like... your suggestions please...

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
I've been listening to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Arcturus, Arch Enemy, Opeth, Nevermore and Iced Earth... just wondering if anyone can recommend some new listening along these lines?
That's quite a variety.

Opeth - Arcane Sun, Novembre, Katatonia
Arch Enemy - Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, The Haunted, In Flames
Arcturus - Winds, latter day Burzum, Ulver, Dimmy Borgir, latter day Emperor
Iced Earth, Dream Theatre, Nevermore, Symphony X - Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Grave Digger, Helloween, Gamma Ray

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
I've been listening to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Arcturus, Arch Enemy, Opeth, Nevermore and Iced Earth... just wondering if anyone can recommend some new listening along these lines?
Symphony X- Savatage
Dream Theater- Pain Of Salvation
Arch Enemy-In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates, any Gothenburg band, really.
Nevermore-Control Denied
Iced Earth- Demons And Wizards
Arcturus- don't know

Hope That helps.

Soilwork, Eucharist, Shadow, Infliction, Solar Dawn, Beyond The Embrace, Dark Tranquillity.

All very good melo-death, and certainly better than Arch Enemy (bleuugh!)

Ok for the three of those I listen to:

Opeth-Aglloch, In the Woods, Ulver

Arch Enemy-At the Gates, In Flames, Dissection

Arcturus- Old Mans Child, Dimmu Boirger, (new) Emperor though these bands are all heavier and faster than Arcturus

As far as the proggy stuff goes like SX and Dream Theater, I suggest:

Vanden Plas (especially Beyond Daylight)

Pagans Mind (Celestial Entrance)

Fates Warning (many prog-metal bands would't exist if not for this band)

Avalon (Eurasia) more powermetal than prog, but plenty of prog moments and an exceptional vocalist.

Bryant

The only thing I can think of now that no one has mentioned is Soilwork. Their best stuff is off of their Predator's Portrait or Natural Born Chaos albums. Thanks for the thread though, I'm gonna have to go check out a bunch of bands now :Spin:

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll have to go check some of this out now. I'm pretty new to metal but I seem to like a fair range of styles, I just listened to Nile a while ago and didn't mind that... as different as it was. I guess there is just so much good music out there it's hard to know where to start. Anyway, thanks again, it will probably take me a while to get through all the stuff listed already but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.