Rare Melodic Death Metal

OrchidForest

Mar 7, 2009
I am looking for some good hard to find albums of Melodic Death Metal. Of course I have the bands:

In Flames
Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
Nightrage
Soilwork
At The Gates

Some of the rare ones I have found are

Deflower - Without Grief
Towards the Twilight - Night In Gales
Behind The Scenery
Ebony Tears

Any more suggestions?

Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon is pretty good. The first Soulburner album is a solid listen, as are the following two albums.

You need Eucharist.

I'm actually a fan of Serpent, a Japanese Melodic Death Metal band. Very good songwriting, and very rarely has that cheesy Japanese sound, very rarely. There are a few bands named Serpent, but they have an album called xGodx and one called Cradle of Insanity

Oh and please get Kalmah, by far the one I respect the most in the sub-genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Embracing - I Bear the Burden of Time
Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents
The Moaning - Blood From Stone
Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Eucaharist - A Velvet Creation

Embracing - I Bear the Burden of Time
Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents
The Moaning - Blood From Stone
Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Eucaharist - A Velvet Creation

Great list, really. Also Eternal Tears of Sorrow, especially older stuff like Vilda Mánnu or Chaotic Beauty.

Degradead are great. The right mix of catchy hooks and riffs while not being too sissy. Their first album is kinda weak but Out Of Body Experience is kick fucking ass.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqrTCEaWxE&feature=related[/ame]
If you're into In Flames, Soilwork, Nightrage, Norther etc this is going to be exactly what you're looking for. That's the kind of melodic death I'm into and when I found this band I was baffled at how good this album is (and how not so good the first one is).

I third the Sacrilege recommendation. Definitely check them out. They are probably my favorite of those bands with that characteristic Gothenburg sound.

Not exactly rare either, but Oracle Moon - Garden of Shadows is one of the best melodic death metal albums ever made and has been criminally underrated for far too long.

I'll second:
Kalmah, Insomnium, EToS, Saturnus, Amorphis

and add:
Hypocrisy
Edge of Sanity
Lost Dreams
and Norther

90% of which is no more obscure than Soilwork.

Experimental Melodic Death! Tell me what you think boys!
If you like your Opeth with a taste of shuggah, take a listen cause it's heavy shit!

Last edited by a moderator: