A lot of ideas, a lot of variety... Not a lot of skill.

Zivilyn

I'm long winded
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
It's hard to make a title for this thread, because I can't really sum up the whole thing in one sentence. Basically I'm throwing a hypothetical question out to the forum.
Obviously, a vast majority of this place listens to music saturated with guitars. Mostly guitars even. Metal has some of the most skillful, showoffy musicians in the world. For metal, immaculate playing seems to be a must have.. Obviously in any genre this is so, but metal makes it quite a big issue.

What I'm going to be recording isn't entirely metal. It will be many things, with electronic elements, but nowhere near the void of techno. It will be guitar heavy as well as synth heavy, but it won't be TOO much. The guitars will have elements of metal, blues, folk, and I might even pick up a banjo. :err:

I've been playing guitar now for... Shit, just how long? I don't know. My guess is five years. I've never had a lesson. I've rarely had a superior player give me tips. I've rarely felt like I could compete with the guitarists that I listen to on a daily basis, atleast in the skill department. My picking is sloppy, my knowledge of scales is almost nonexistant (But I think I'm still a decent improviser, just with room to improve). My picking is so lacking that I'd say I only pick about 60% of the notes I play. I do a lot of hammer ons, pull offs, sliding around just to fill in the gaps. Switching strings and keeping up a steady, quick picking motion.. forget about it. No chance.

Part of my issue is the lack of practice. I'd say there are 3 days a week where I have endless opportunites to pick up my guitar and give it a spin, I just don't. I get lazy. I won't even plug in half the time, and sometimes I won't even bother looking around for a pick. Part of me wants to improve, then another part is just flat out lazy about it. I'll play for 15 minutes, get bored, move on. It's not a question of enjoyment... I love doing it.

What I think sets me apart from a lot of people in my situation is songwriting. Ever since I was in my early teens I've had ultimate faith in myself to write really great stuff.
I have access to some decent equipment, plenty of gadgets, and I can create almost a professional sound out of it.

I really got carried away for a few paragraphs, but anyway...

Would you listen to a band that is heavy on guitars, but isn't exactly full of guitar experts? Do you listen to any bands like that already? Now I'm not talking about Green Day bad or anything here, I could blow them out of the water. But my musicianship will be dead serious, I will attempt to come off as having some skill. There will be solos, there will be complexities. If something sounds bad, I'll know it, I'll redo it. But how important is it to you guys for your guitarist to be godly at what he does?

your post kinda ressembles what goes on with me, with a little change, as I do actually play everydays and I don't really like show-off and tons-of-notes-per-second. I say, get yer lazzy bum and go work your axe off. Hard work pays off.

I do listen to many bands whose guitar players aren't that good, but some them, had their producer re-record their guitar parts which then..makes it work! :p

To most important part which a lot of the guitarist forget is that to make a good song is the main goal and not to show everyone how good the skills are.
I don´t care if someone isn´t that good when the music catch my ear, it is perfect for me. It´s matter of taste..

there is not only power metal! i know alot of bands which play awesome music but the skills of their guitarists are not better than mine and probably yours (don't know how well you play actually)! ;)

dude i say if your going to learn how to pluck a guitar learn how to pluck it right. i know about 20 scales. the only way you can get perfect picking is too practice. i practice every damn day of my life exept one day last year where i forgot it at my home when i was having a busy day. practice string skips and arpeggios. They help alot.

But if it sounds good i guess its ok. but most metal-heads are obsessed with tech like me. Look in to some fusion guitarists. They would tear the face off any off those metal guys. tech is very important because i like it when people say" That guy is badass!" if your gonna do somethin take it all the way. But if you can add tech with style youve got something.