A maxon POD1 pedal?!?

Jun 2, 2005
I have posted this on HC forum as well.. but no one really knew, so let's try it here, you guys seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff...

Now i am offered this one:

http://www.diokay.com/images/DCP/MPOD1.jpg

That's a POD1 dual circuit OD/DIST pedal...l it has the JRC4558 in it... i am planning to buy it to get some more punch into my guitarsounds (metal) in front of my POD XT..

Anyone know if this one comes as close to the OD820 or ibanez TS9 with the JRC4558?

i know Andy Sneap uses the TS9 for his tone, and it sounds really good...

but i am not sure if the POD 1 comes close at all... it is a maxon, it has the chip, but i have never tried one, so i could not tell..

It is basically a TS-808 with programable settings on it... i am just glad i found one and that i can get it for a decent price... just wondering what the allround opinion is around here on these pedals so i can see if i really need it or not...

Anyone who could help me out here?

Thanks in advance!

That's a goofy looking pedal, cool though! Dry out is a great idea, how exactly can that be switched? MIDI on a screamer pedal would be glorious... I can dream...

Kazrog said:
That's a goofy looking pedal, cool though! Dry out is a great idea, how exactly can that be switched? MIDI on a screamer pedal would be glorious... I can dream...

Yes, yes it would....but, there's an easier way ;). Pop that sucker open and wire a stereo jack in instead of the switch, and then run it to your switching hub (G-Major, etc), or to a footswitch near your feet.

DSS3 said:
Yes, yes it would....but, there's an easier way ;). Pop that sucker open and wire a stereo jack in instead of the switch, and then run it to your switching hub (G-Major, etc), or to a footswitch near your feet.

Actually there's an easier way than that:

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_abcadabra.htm

I'm going to run the pedal through this so I can turn it on and off with MIDI patch change messages. My goal is to not have any foot pedals on the ground of any kind, other than an expression pedal, and have my laptop control all of my tone changes along with the songs (I use DP to run a click feed and MIDI for live shows, with in-ear monitors, etc.)

Thanks guys..

Yeah Mxlinus.. will probably get for a decent price.. just waiting for James to jump on this one, since i believe he once said that any maxon tubescreamer will suffice for the job.. (not sure though)

But it looks interesting to me.. no idea what "dry out" is though Shane... will have to look into that.. and i am also not sure what the MIDI options would be with the pedal... i will look into that as well...

Still hoping someone actually played/tried this pedal.. but it looks like it's discontinued a while ago for some reason, and HC has only one review on it.. (those reviews dont tell me much, since people are willing to be a little blind to see the minor points in their just bought product.. just like me :p )

Hi Black neon bob,
I have one each maxon and Ibanez POD1, 3 of the PPE1 and each the rest of this series (PDM1, PDD1, PDS1, DMI4)
Now, if you ever questioned that strange midi look like connector, that's a what it called sedi I think, it would work only for the DMI4 (the controll unit) with its special 9 or 8 pin adaptor. What it does is actually just like a midi thing but with en extra message to send the signal back to the units for the switching function (You see there's no switch on the DMI4 unit itself therefore it send the message to uses the unit's switch instead).
For the circuit, this is like boss OS-2, after the input buffer it goes to out buffer for the dry out, as well as splitting the signal for Distortion dan Overdrive, where the overdrive, its clipping stage is like a TS-10 with its additional 220R. the difference are at the rest of the circuit after that, which is why it called tubescreamer+. Imagine having a Super tubescreamer (STL/ST-9) that is a TS-9 with an addtional Frequency knob. This is a TS-10 with additional knobs too.

Ok well, if you decide not to take it, it can always find a its home somewhere... I mean here just contact me ;)

And oh, you really can not do anything with the sedi without its DMI4 unit!

Kazrog said:
Actually there's an easier way than that:

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_abcadabra.htm

I'm going to run the pedal through this so I can turn it on and off with MIDI patch change messages. My goal is to not have any foot pedals on the ground of any kind, other than an expression pedal, and have my laptop control all of my tone changes along with the songs (I use DP to run a click feed and MIDI for live shows, with in-ear monitors, etc.)

this is from an italian company
http://www.advancetubetech.com/eng/LS42.shtml

Maurizio

kaomao said:
this is from an italian company
http://www.advancetubetech.com/eng/LS42.shtml

Maurizio

Right, that's more like the Bradshaw stuff, which is overly complex for my needs. I am unlikely to ever run any other pedals besides the tube screamer, since all my other FX come from my Lexicon MPX G2 rack. Hell, the Lexicon even has pretty good Tube Screamer emulation so I may just use that, but so far the Maxon OD820 beats it in terms of smoothness.