Maxon od808 or od820 pro?

Rusty123

Feb 2, 2007
UK
Hello everyone.

I am sure this has been talked about before but im in a bit if a quandary.

Im waiting for a Maxon od 808 to come into stock to purchase here in the uk, weird but everone I can find who sells them are out of stock.

But now I debating whether to go the extra and get the Maxon od820 pro.

I use Peavey 5150 II AND 6505+ amps with Marshall 1960a cabs loaded with Celestion v30s.

I want a boost pedal for recording and using live.

Could anyone who uses them give me some advice? Is it worth going for the 820 pro? or should I just get the 808?

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.

Skyweaver here has an identical set-up to you, except he's got a 820 hitting the front end of his amp. It sounds fabulous... seriously what the OD820 adds to the tone is just marvellous.

I've not had a chance to try the 808 but I can't imagine it being too different.

Well if Andy Sneap uses one they got to be good, been listening to Sabbat for years and to be honest just about every album he has produced I own haha.

But how big is the difference, I know the 808 is not true bypass but I use true bypass loop boxes anyway with all my pedals, so is it worth paying the extra £70?

Anyone got audio samples of both to compare?

I know a few bands use the 808s live in their rig, and I am thinking; if the 820 is better why dont they use it instead?

Sames....went from both a stock TS9 + a modded TS7 + old SD-1 to an OD808 and it's like night and day. I was shocked at the difference.

How big a difference are we talking here, anyone got any clips?

With settings they used, maybe with similar gear would help as I have recorded my amps mant times and am use to the way they sound.

Not a huge difference, but I think the 820 is a little bit nicer. I bought it after I read Andy thought it was the best in some shootout or other. *Andy Sheep*