Differences between Maxon OD820 and Maxon OD808???

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
I know what you are thinking, not another one of these threads. :rolleyes:

Well, what I am really asking is NOT which one is better, this question generally ends up in a stalemate with guy A saying 808, guy B saying 820 all due to personal preference of each tone and no real result:loco: . What I want to know is the difference between the 2 so I can decide whether to sink AUD$193 for the 808 or AUD$300 for the 820. I have read about the blend with the 820 where you can blend the distorted and non-distorted sound for different boost options.

From the website: (Maxon FX Vintage Series : OD-820 Overdrive Pro - Information and Purchase links)

"Overdrive and Blend? That's right * the other secret weapon of the OD-820 lies in it's blending of distorted and non-distorted signal to create its massive tone. The OD-820's Drive knob does double duty, controlling both the amount of gain and the balance between distorted and non-distorted signal. Note that we said non-distorted signal rather than dry signal * this is because this signal is still processed through the tone section of the OD-820's circuit before reaching the output. So, at the lowest Drive settings only non-distorted signal is sent to the output, providing the OD-820's stunning clean boost tone."

If any of you guys possess (or have used) the 820 I would appreciate any opinions.

Some background info: I would be using the pedal into a Krank Revo Head into Mesa Trad 4X12 (with EMG 81/85 equiped guitars). I am not really wanting to tighten up the low end (it's already pretty tight), I just want to add a bit more bite/aggression/harshness and sizzle to the tone, at the moment it is too refined sounding. I am hoping that this would do the trick.

Any feedback appreciated.:)

Jesus christ, not another one of these threads.....

:lol:

Yes, but it's slightly different :heh: . I have seen TS9 v 808, etc...

What I want to know is if the the 820 is an 808 and then some...not what's better sounding, eg a 5150 (6506) or 5150 II (6505 +) :loco: . Not interested in better sounding arguments/comments, more in the differences/similarities in the 2. Slightly different post, maybe.:lol: :zombie:

Thanks for the reply, most informative.:lol: :p