Maxon Od820 & 808 similiar? - apoligize if this has been covered

dandan

Dec 29, 2005
i did a few searches and didn't come up with much. I just won an 820 on ebay, and i know lots of the times it boils down to personal taste.

But im assuming both are similar or is the 820 somehow slightly better ? I notice its about 100 dollars more than the 808.

Thanks guys

Dan

just got my Maxon OD808 from japan.

maxon.jpg

well thanks for "pwning" me but those are the threads i already saw, and quite honestly they didn't offer much of a comparison. Atleast not as much as the od9 vs od808.

Im not saying they werent helpful, but no one really said what the difference was in tone.

well thanks for "pwning" me but those are the threads i already saw, and quite honestly they didn't offer much of a comparison. Atleast not as much as the od9 vs od808.

Im not saying they werent helpful, but no one really said what the difference was in tone.

Dude, I already said I was joking about the "pwned" thing, and from what I've heard the OD820 is supposed to be smoother sounding than the OD808, but either is a great purchase. As far as I can tell you have the top of the line TS-9 Clone.

"The higher voltage supplied to the amplifier section provides slightly more clipping than the OD808 or OD-9. The OD-820 uses only JRC4558 op amps for the warmest overdrive tone possible."

From Maxon's website regarding the OD820 over the OD808 and OD-9, so it will clip the signal more, so you need less gain on your amp, meaning a tighter tone.

The OD820 also from what I understand bumps up the voltage to 18v which would maybe make things sound a bit more organic.

Sorry I couldn't offer more help, but I think pretty much there isn't a lot of difference in tone, however if you got the OD820 for a good price off ebay, then I say don't worry about it.

oh fuck the link to my search is not working.
Well just type on the search function the word MAXON on the sneap forum, it shows you those 13 pages I was talking about.
Look there maybe you can find something better than the other 2 pages I was pointing out.

sorry if my post came off as ungreatful cobhc! I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I was greatful for kao taking the time to get those threads up.

and i just found what you said VERY helpful thank you very much my good man =]