Problem with my Maxon OD-820... anybody what's wrong with it?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
My Maxon OD-820 tubescreamer just stopped working for some unknown reason. When hooked up and turned off, the signal goes through the pedal fine, but when I turn it on, the signal is almost completely cut out and I can just barely hear it coming through my amp with no gain or volume. I thought at first that the battery died, but I changed batteries and it's still doing it. Anybody know why it'd be doing this? I don't know what's wrong with it...

This switches on those pedals are REALLY shitty. The one on my 808 actually broke all the way into the pedal.

I would get a meter and out and test the backside of the switch for resitance/continuity before proceeding with anything else. That is easiest thing to check if you have sound going through it, but not working when clicked on.

Also, if you haven't taken the pedal apart yet, take it apart look for any possible cold/broken solder joints.

Joshua I have the same exact issue...I am going to take it to the engineering dept at work ....they believe its a capacitor since I cant see any bad solder points...will let you know what it is if they figure it out

It's probably a bad solder joint. You can't necessarily see when a joint it bad. Just check with a multimeter a decent amount of joints. You could get lucky.

My experience with TS pedals is that the IC is most prone to dying from overvolting. But if the Maxon PSU is decent enough for the unit then it shouldn't really happen. As mentioned it could be a poor solder joint, poorly contacting jack etc.

I emailed the store I bought it from and a guy from there said it's still under warranty and gave me the contact info for the distributor... so, I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to ship it to them...