A mix AFTER taking some of your advicez...

NoDestiny

Jul 14, 2009
I posted a thread a few weeks ago on my "best effort" of a mix. It definitely wasn't bowed upon by any means... but I took to hear all advice possible and re-recorded a few songs and decided to give this one a shot.

Some things I did this time:
Read all the drum micing thread, using a few techniques and tips from there
Used apTrigga since the drums still didn't sound great
double tracked guitars, rid of distortion pedal and just used the amps built-in

I replaced all toms and bass drum outright, but snare is 50/100 in original/sample (ready somewhere that andy does that, seems to work decently me thinks). The overheads were spaced the exact distance from the snare and the same height from the cymbals, with 500Hz and down cut, hard left and right fades. Toms are L30/L15/R15/R40.

No vox yet, have not had time to post up, but I figure if I can get a good handle on the rest of the mix, the vox should fit in nicely. Also, bass line (after the tapping) around the end is a little off, I'll be the first to admit I can't play with a metronome solo for the life of me (hell, recording to me is a challenge, but live, I feel I perform a lot better... anybody else feel this way?)

Lemme know your thoughts on this one...
http://www.mediafire.com/?2lgnjkmenyy

mudcity in the lowermids and the guitartone is down right nasty and the clickety clack on the bass doesn't sound good. But the song has some potential. If you still have the DI-tracks for the guitars, try reamping themp thru a better sounding amp or ampsim, the texture of the distortion on that one just is fizzy to my taste

Will have to play with the guitar tone some, see what can come from it. The bass is compressed at 20db 3:1 already, but will definitely drop the volume a db or two and tweak the EQ a bit.

Thanx for the input!

you mean -20db? ;)
is your signal hot? thats a massive amount of compression... maybe bring the threshold closer to 0db and put a higher ratio man so that it sounds the same as it does now, but still restricts the volume spikes, i find 3:1 isnt enough to tame the low end spurts most basses have sometimes.
also, grab Redline Reverb from 112db. Reverb on a bus with everything flowing into it works wonders on a mix... but keep it quiet

so a dash of reverb to the entire mix?

Also, what ratio for the compressor on the bass do you usually use?

Thanx again man, I do appreciate all your input.

hey dude, definitely got some potential there! Where abouts are you low passing the guitars? Try around 10k then shelving at around there to preserve some presence. That's one of many cool tips I picked up from this board!

I have yet to touch the EQ on the guitars... unless its one of the ones I dropped 2db on around 200Hz to allow the bass to cut through a bit better... cant remember for sure. Ill try that out when I get a chance though!

Your mix sounds like a live demo. Try for a start to bring front the guitars (+3db at least) and make the snare less harsh + working out the highs of the kick.

Your mix sounds like a live demo. Try for a start to bring front the guitars (+3db at least) and make the snare less harsh + working out the highs of the kick.

Yeah I think ~5K got a little boost I forgot to knock back off on the kick. 3dB on each guitar track or in total (1.5dB each?)

OK V2, using most of your advicez (dont know why I love that word. Makes me feel like the decider)

Changes:
~+1.5 dB per guitar track, also adjusted the EQ for 10K dropoff, as well as added some 3.5K just for shizzles.
~Kick drum EQ adjusted to rolloff at 8K and dip 2db into 850Hz
~Bass compressor changed to -5dB 5:1, EQ adjusted for less 200-400Hz and notched a bit into the 900Hz to reduce clicking
~Snare rolloff in the 10Khz and -2dB reduction in teh 2Khz area to make less harsh

Lemme know your thoughts. Am I getting warmer at all? Obviously the guitars and bass are going to still be similar because they are not reamped or anything, but I want to make due with what I got for the learning experience before trying to tackle more recording. Also, my guitarist won't be around to record for a while, though I can rerecord my bass any time (though I actually want to mic up my amp setup, it sounds 100x better than any direct input, plus I can mic the midrange and woofer up separately for more tonal control).

http://www.mediafire.com/?cj0boinyn2m

Thank you all so very, very much once again

It is better, but I think that the distortion on the guitar doesn't sound that nice. Too much gain and buzz

we were hoping to play around with the dual SM-57 setup soon enough, so we'll tweak with it then. EQ wise, would there be anything YOU would change to it, despite its fuzzy distortion?