Comments on this mix?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So, this is my 2nd mixing/mastering project, the first full mixing and mastering job I've done since my bands EP. This is just a rough mix after about 2 hours worth of cleaning up, EQ'ing and compressing where needed.

I did this mix 95% through headphones (I have 5 month old triplets and they were asleep), with just a touch of low level listening on my monitors.

Any advice?

So far, I think the bass guitar is too loud and the double bass overpowers the mix when it's going.

The band wants no drum replacement/samples if possible, and they didn't have a lot of stuff to work with on the raw tracks. 57's on the 2 high toms and snare, e609 on the floor tom, Audix D112 (IIRC) on the bass drum. I'm compressing the snare, toms and bass drum, with a little high end EQ on the bass drum. OH's cut at 800Hz.

Bass guitar is a Bass POD and guitars tracks are EMG 81 loaded BC Rich's (Warlock and a V) through a VHT UL 100 and an Engl Fireball into a Marshall 1960 4x12 with V30's. cabs miked with a 57 more than likely but I don't know for sure.

I can't remember what interface/preamps they used, but it was made by a company that's out of business, and I don't think it was US made...If I heard the name, I'd know.

Anyway, the clip:

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/fog_of_war_test1.wma

I like the tone on the guitars :) The bass guitar is too loud, though. The kick is not very distinct, but it would probably be ok if you take away some low end from the bass. I don't quite like the toms..all i hear is their highs.
The mix isn't very balanced and clear sounding (that's what mixing with headphones does I guess), otherwise cool stuff :)

Yeah, I hear ya on the bass guitar (see my comments in the OP).

The toms kinda do suck, I may have to break out some samples. I've tried compressing them and bringing out the thickness, but I'm still not real good at doing it.