New Death Metal Song/Mix....Any opinions?

Aug 6, 2006
I would love to get some feedback on this mix. I know the blast beats are not realistic/human sounding, I an looking for feedback on the overall mix and sound of this song.

Download: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10417

2 Guitar tracks panned 90% left
2 Guitar tracks panned 90$ right
1 Bass track centered.

I used my V-Amp Pro for the guitar and bass tracks. I used Beatcraft my drum tracks and Mixcraft for mixing/mastering.

Thank you and any and all comments are welcome good or bad.

Peter

Peter,
First, as a fan of your music, I have to say, "cool song". :kickass:

The mix sounds weird though in a bad way. I don't know what's going on or how else to even describe it other than being kind of muffled with bad/weird (mid?) frequencies and it's hard on the ears. I want to guess that it's bad compression settings but I don't know. What processing is done to it?
Hopefully someone can help you out more with that. I'm wondering if maybe you should re-post the song without any processing and see if people can guide you from scratch. :erk:

The snare could be a little louder imo. I'd like to hear it replaced with something better though. I saw you were asking about that process of replacing a while ago. Did you ever figure it out? I think the drums over all could use some more beef. Maybe try that parallel compression thing that's being discussed right now?

Peter,
First, as a fan of your music, I have to say, "cool song". :kickass:

The mix sounds weird though in a bad way. I don't know what's going on or how else to even describe it other than being kind of muffled with bad/weird (mid?) frequencies and it's hard on the ears. I want to guess that it's bad compression settings but I don't know. What processing is done to it?
Hopefully someone can help you out more with that. I'm wondering if maybe you should re-post the song without any processing and see if people can guide you from scratch. :erk:

The snare could be a little louder imo. I'd like to hear it replaced with something better though. I saw you were asking about that process of replacing a while ago. Did you ever figure it out? I think the drums over all could use some more beef. Maybe try that parallel compression thing that's being discussed right now?

Glad you like the song dude.

I have been tweaking the song for a little while now and this is the best I am going to get myself...LOL If there is anyone else that might be able to help let me know. I know MetalHead comes to these forums from time to time and maybe he can mix and master it for me? I am willing to pay someone to get a good mix. I can put all the track in .wav format on CD and mail them to someone?!?!?! Anyone? Meatlhead?

Peter

You should upload the raw tracks here. I'm sure some people will give it a go for free. Hell, I'll even give it a try. Actually, I would love to. :)

You should upload the raw tracks here. I'm sure some people will give it a go for free. Hell, I'll even give it a try. Actually, I would love to. :)

Is there a FTP site or something I can upload them to or do I need my own space? I am sure there would be like a few undred megs of wav files. let me know and I will see what I can do to get them upload.

Thank you very much!

Maybe try spacing out the tracks some more...I never like panning two tracks the exact same way. Maybe try 100/50 left and 100/50 right...Thats my normal setup.

Is there a FTP site or something I can upload them to or do I need my own space? I am sure there would be like a few undred megs of wav files. let me know and I will see what I can do to get them upload.

Thank you very much!

The forum's (Gavin's) FTP is unavailable for a while but this looks like it should do the job well at no cost. (unless I'm overlooking something)

http://www.megaupload.com/

There are others but whatever you do, don't use "Rapid Share". Non members have to wait a stupid, long ass time between individual downloads unless they pay a membership fee. :puke:

The forum's (Gavin's) FTP is unavailable for a while but this looks like it should do the job well at no cost. (unless I'm overlooking something)

http://www.megaupload.com/

There are others but whatever you do, don't use "Rapid Share". Non members have to wait a stupid, long ass time between individual downloads unless they pay a membership fee. :puke:

I was just checking my own web site and I have 5GB of disk space so I will get the files uploaded on Sunday and then email you the link. What is your email address so I can email you the link once it is done?

Peter

megaupload makes nonmembers wait too. Hey bloodsoaked, you should consider getting another drum program. Ez drummer is good and really easy to use. It comes with a lot of preprogrammed measures of beats that you can use and combine to create an entire drum track. You of course can make your own aswell. Using MIDI to create your drum tracks will save you a lot of time and allow you to tweak it after the fact. I would consider using impulses with the vamp. They sound much better than the cabs in it. Just some suggestions that could really make things sound better and even save time.

oh, and cool song. I see you've been working really hard on putting music out. We started this homerecording thing at the same time and you have an album out and I have shit.

megaupload makes nonmembers wait too. Hey bloodsoaked, you should consider getting another drum program. Ez drummer is good and really easy to use. It comes with a lot of preprogrammed measures of beats that you can use and combine to create an entire drum track. You of course can make your own aswell. Using MIDI to create your drum tracks will save you a lot of time and allow you to tweak it after the fact. I would consider using impulses with the vamp. They sound much better than the cabs in it. Just some suggestions that could really make things sound better and even save time.

oh, and cool song. I see you've been working really hard on putting music out. We started this homerecording thing at the same time and you have an album out and I have shit.

Well, this is my first song in about a year or so but I have been playing live shows for the past 8 months trying to promote my first CD.

Thanks for listening to the song dude. I hear people talk about the Impulses with the V-Amp, how in the world do I use them? Anyone have directons?

I like the drum program I am using at the moment as it is just easy for me to use. I think I am going to pay someone to so drums for me with Drum Kit From Hell. I love playing and being able to record at home but all the mixing and tweaking after just aggravates the hell out of me and make me loose interest. So paying someone the mix and do the drums will make life much better...LOL

Peter

ez drummer is very easy to use though. If you can use beatcraft then you should be able to learn to program drums via MIDI no problem. To use impulses you need a convolution reverb plugin. Voxengo boogex is a free amp modeller but also allows you to load in impulses from there. YOu can just bypass the amp part to use vamp. I understand how it can be frustrating mixing and everything. I think if you use simpler to use programs that also work more efficiently, it wouldnt be as frustrating. BUt regardless, cool work and I hope everything goes well for you in your musical endeavors.

hey man,
about the impulses & v-amp thing...

on your v-amp turn off the speaker sim to where it sounds like total bung (think DOD death metal distortion) and set up your guitar track to record as normal. make sure the track volume is turned all the way down so you don't hear your v-amp without the speaker sim enabled cause it sounds like fierce amazon woman crack after a giant chilli dinner:zombie: & insert the Voxengo Boogex VST plug-in like you would normally insert compression, eq, etc
you can load up an impulse which is basically the same thing as the speaker sim in your v-amp but instead of using your hardware you're using software.
Its basically like loading up a preset file.
now enable "monitor" on the track that you want to record your guitar(s)

boogex14.jpg

this is the example picture from the voxenge site, definitely not settings you'd want to use with distorted guitars by any means
anyway, as always its best to start with the "pre filter - eq" at 0

TONE - depends on your preference but I tend to like tone cranked up

DRIVE - you'll want this at 0 as well since you've already got distortion

DYNAMICS - this also will depend on your preference, I again prefer it cranked up

PHASE - I honestly dont know about this, my assumption would be its like using on and off axis mic'ing but hopefully someone else could expain it because I'm clueless on this one (I leave it on 0)

DRY PRE CAB & DRY POST CAB - you'll want these both all the way down / off so that way you ONLY hear the speaker impulse

OK....so......hmmmmmmmm.......

So when I use my V-Amp Pro to record I turn the Cab Model OFF, correct?

What about he Amp Model...on or off?

What should the Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble be set at or does it matter?

Also, am I recording my guitar track as normal and then adding the Voxengo Boogex VST into my mixing software after it is recorded? I don't see how I would use it while I am recording.

Peter

To use the impulse you leave everything on your V-Amp Pro set up as it normally is when you're playing BUT the Cab Model.
All your normal settings stay the same: EQ, Amp Model, Etc...
The ONLY thing you turn off is the Cab Model

I just had a look at the Acoustica Mixcraft website and from the screenshots they have I'd suggest the following:

1) Arm your track to record guitar as normal
2) Insert Voxengo Boogex into the VST/Plug-In slot
3) Load an impulse file into Voxengo Boogex (taking notice of my suggestions in the previous post as a starting point)

READ THIS

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions man & I'll try my best to help out

To use the impulse you leave everything on your V-Amp Pro set up as it normally is when you're playing BUT the Cab Model.
All your normal settings stay the same: EQ, Amp Model, Etc...
The ONLY thing you turn off is the Cab Model

I just had a look at the Acoustica Mixcraft website and from the screenshots they have I'd suggest the following:

1) Arm your track to record guitar as normal
2) Insert Voxengo Boogex into the VST/Plug-In slot
3) Load an impulse file into Voxengo Boogex (taking notice of my suggestions in the previous post as a starting point)

READ THIS

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions man & I'll try my best to help out

Very good info. I will need to upgrade to the newest version of Mixcraft to be able to monitor my recording. Do I have to monitor it? Can't I just record with NO cab model and then add the Voxengo to the FX after I record and tweak it?

Peter

Yeah you don't have to monitor with the impulse. You can just record your vamp without the cab sim then apply the impulse after the fact. It doesn't matter. It's just you may prefer to monitor it with the impulse because otherwise it sounds like shit without a cab sim.

Yeah you don't have to monitor with the impulse. You can just record your vamp without the cab sim then apply the impulse after the fact. It doesn't matter. It's just you may prefer to monitor it with the impulse because otherwise it sounds like shit without a cab sim.

Cool....I have been trying that but I am getting TONS of clipping and bassy distortion once I add the Voxengo Boogex any suggestions?

Peter