A mix I think I'm finally happy with! Podfarm/Superior2.0/Logic

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Hey Guys,
Thanks to everyone from the previous post who gave me tons of input and ideas for trying this with EQ's and tones!

This is a mix that I'm pretty happy with for the time being. I mean, you can't polish a turd, but i'm happy with this.

PODFARM - Dual Amp (bigbottom/diamondplate) decent amount of post eq / compression / high and low pass

Superior - Tried doing parallel compression, didn't like it. Worked pretty hard trying to widen up these drum tones.

Bass - still needs to be played by a bass player and the part needs to be reworked :puke:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8104574

Let me know your thoughts!

I like the song :)

But I´m missing seperation between each instrument.

Try to bosst 200-250hz in the snare

More 60hz in the bassdrum

lowcut on the guitars at 100hz

More mids in the overall guitar tone

But you are on the right way!!!!

I like the song :)

But I´m missing seperation between each instrument.

Try to bosst 200-250hz in the snare

More 60hz in the bassdrum

lowcut on the guitars at 100hz

More mids in the overall guitar tone

But you are on the right way!!!!

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

I have a 3db boost at 70hz on the kick right now. Do you think I should go higher then that?

I have guitars lowcut at 200hz on that right now.

When boosting mids should I do it on the pod settings or the eq in logic??

Can't say I can really help out with the mix overall since I'm not that experienced, but one thing I noticed with my POD tones is, the less post processing I began to use, the better I became at getting a good source tone. With the amp sims EQ, the 4 band semi parametric and the Line 6 Boost+EQ stomp, it's literally all you need to get a great guitar tone from POD X3s/POD Farm.
If you still need post processing, basically go back and re think and tweak your POD Farm settings, because POD Farm has enough tweakability to get a great tone out of the box.
The only post processing you should be using is high pass and low pass, literally nothing else, perhaps parallel compression if you really want it, but otherwise as I said it's all about the source tone.
I'd recommend just high pass at 100 Hz rather than 200 Hz, cos I think that might be partly the cause of the tone sounding thin. I found a lot of that POD tone thickness revolves around 600-800Hz ish. Too little and it sounds thin, too much and it sounds kinda honky. Of course it's partly subjective too, but just play around with those frequencies in the 4 band semi parametric EQ on POD Farm until you start finding a nicely balanced mid range you feel happy with.

Can't say I can really help out with the mix overall since I'm not that experienced, but one thing I noticed with my POD tones is, the less post processing I began to use, the better I became at getting a good source tone. With the amp sims EQ, the 4 band semi parametric and the Line 6 Boost+EQ stomp, it's literally all you need to get a great guitar tone from POD X3s/POD Farm.
If you still need post processing, basically go back and re think and tweak your POD Farm settings, because POD Farm has enough tweakability to get a great tone out of the box.
The only post processing you should be using is high pass and low pass, literally nothing else, perhaps parallel compression if you really want it, but otherwise as I said it's all about the source tone.
I'd recommend just high pass at 100 Hz rather than 200 Hz, cos I think that might be partly the cause of the tone sounding thin. I found a lot of that POD tone thickness revolves around 600-800Hz ish. Too little and it sounds thin, too much and it sounds kinda honky. Of course it's partly subjective too, but just play around with those frequencies in the 4 band semi parametric EQ on POD Farm until you start finding a nicely balanced mid range you feel happy with.

I'll try to HP at 100hz and see if maybe that opens in up a little bit more. My only beef with the 4 band eq in pod farm is that it really doesn't give you many options. I'll try messing with it a little bit more to see what I can do with it. I've had friends that don't touch their pod farm tone and I know people who do TONS of work on the tone out of pod farm.

I've also never really tried that boost and eq pedal. I've seen it on other amp patches but I've never used it on any of the patches I've made. I'll have to play around with it!

I agree the snare is thin but i've had a hell of a time trying to make it sound fatter. Everytime I do I lose all my cut.

It's a tough thing, this mixing. Haha

Dude this is WAYYYYY better then the first version for sure...omg

But it still need a real bass player ...lol

I used to take my guitar back in the day run it through the octaver in Guitar Rig and play it that way. It sounded a bit more like a real bass then any digi bass I have ever used. Im not saying this is the be all end all solution.

Shit send me an MP3 and ill record a bassline if you want. ill give you a DI track and you can process through Pod farm all you like.

Ok ignore everything in my previous post .....lol

I had the wrong set of speakers on in my studio :p

Anyway ... the bass is ok in my option. Is there any distortion on it or is it totally clean?

The drums being so small is what is making this a rough one. Where did you get the drum tones? Have you tried any of the samples here off the forum?

What are you using for the drums?

Also the cymbals seem a bit loud imho

Ok ignore everything in my previous post .....lol

I had the wrong set of speakers on in my studio :p

Anyway ... the bass is ok in my option. Is there any distortion on it or is it totally clean?

The drums being so small is what is making this a rough one. Where did you get the drum tones? Have you tried any of the samples here off the forum?

What are you using for the drums?

Also the cymbals seem a bit loud imho

The bass is 100% clean.

As for the drums i'm using the samples in superior drummer. I've thought about using some of the samples from this site but then I'm not sure how to convert them to midi in logic. I'm very green as far as drum programming and sampling goes. I've only worked within this program.

I will also be taking down the cymbals, I bumped em up a little and noticed it's to much again.

I dont know much about superior dummer but is there a way to import samples?

I don't believe so. I've been looking into how to do that in logic. I think you can do it in ultrabeat. After I did that I could make a new midi track for each drum and go about it that route. Ugh.

I'll see if I can get the drums cleaned up that route tonight if I have time.

You have any suggestions for samples?