A Most Interesting Conversation

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Last night, on Charlie Rose, I watched one of the most fascinating conversations of my life (Charlie Rose thought it was his best program ever). James Watson ( the guy that co-discovered DNA and was the head of the Genome project) and Edward Wilson (The leading Sociobiologist) were on to discuss Darwin, and other scientific advances.

First, they both talked about how Darwin is essentially their Jesus and Mohammed and Abraham rolled into one, and how he actually is correct, whereas the religious types did the best they could with the limited knowledge of their times.

Second, and most importantly they had a long conversation about genetics and sociobiology/psychology. Watson explainied if he were young again, he would spend his life researching how the brain works. Anyway, the findings in the last 20 years are rather revolutionary. Both claim that all of us are very different and a product of our genes. It doesnt matter what kind of environment one is placed in, their genes determine who they are. They both acknowledged that yes family and culture do have a impact, but it is not nearly as big in determining the individual as previously thought ( they used the example of a poet: one born with a genetic predilection towards poetry will most likely be better if they were Irish and not a Eskimo due to culture influences; but they'd both still be poets). Hence, there is no equality, and no amount of education will make a violent man, less violent, or a person bad at math, any better. Thus, they both claimed that all of the social sciences, and pyschology are essentially wrong, and have devised erroneous theories and policies due to this belief in equality, environment etc. They foresee the brain to be totally understood sometime in this coming century, and for there to be a serious biological/psychological revolution.

Even more fascinating is how they both thought many behaviors have been bred out--or have been largely reduced through natural selection. The one they talked about most is violence. They both state that in the last 20,000 years as we have had to live and work togewther in cities etc, those persons that were inherently violent were increasingly shunned and kicked out; not allowing them to breed any further.

Thus, here are two men, who have won about every award in the world, and one who maybe made the greatest scientific advances ever, both entirely upturning the ideas of free will, religion, environment, and the social sciences and psychology. Essentially politically, both conservative and liberal ideas as well.

I wanted to get everyone's reaction, as I know we discuss these topics all the time.

I saw the interview also. It made me wonder if eugenics was the next logical topic of discussion.

I thot the interview was good, but there are also many other good/interest- ing other ones. In particular, the Steve Gighan (sp?) one on the making of "Syrania"

tr_ofdallas said:
I saw the interview also. It made me wonder if eugenics was the next logical topic of discussion.

I thot the interview was good, but there are also many other good/interest- ing other ones. In particular, the Steve Gighan (sp?) one on the making of "Syrania"

Thats sort of the impression I got too. Essentialy eugenics and all forms of genetic engineering are going to be big topics in the coming years. There is no reason to disbelieve Aldous Huxley on his dystopian view of the future.

I suppose what interest me most, is the scientific undermining and destruction of the social sciences, religion, psychology, and parts of philosophy ( like surely this mind/body problem of another thread). I will happily dance a little jig on the grave of psychology and social science, but I wonder if religion will put up a fight?

At the very least, it shows some a certain evil empire thats frequently on the History Channel, may have had science on their side in a number of ethically and morally dubiuos questions.

speed said:
( they used the example of a poet: one born with a genetic predilection towards poetry will most likely be better if they were Irish and not a Eskimo due to culture influences; but they'd both still be poets).

That is not only highly inaccurate, it is distinctly subjective.

speed said:
Hey thats what they said. I am not making any of this up for my own personal interest.

Oddly, speedo, originally I'd included an explanation that my objection was not directed towards you, but then I erased it from my post because I thought it may have been presumptious of me to think I would need to explain myself to you.

Are you yankin my chain?

yes, I amazoned it last time you mentioned it. But I am too wrapped up in Pavic and Rushdie right now. I guess its reading for next week.

Everyone, or someone who enjoys literature, please read anything at all by Milorad Pavic. He has been nominated for the nobel prize. His works, are wondrous, and pure literary genius. Non-linear, in fact, one of his books can be read backwords. An improvement on Borges even. Please read Dictionary of the Khazars or Landscape Painted With Tea.

Øjeblikket said:
Oddly, speedo, originally I'd included an explanation that my objection was not directed towards you, but then I erased it from my post because I thought it may have been presumptious of me to think I would need to explain myself to you.

Are you yankin my chain?

Ah, I thought you might confuse the statement with some fantasy of my own and not the two prestigious men. But I was rather amazed at what they said, so I can see why you would question it.

My friend Olly has told me about him before, i'm just too lazy to read anything as of yet. I generally have so much things to read for work i have little time for personal reading :(

I 'll make a point of reading some of that tho, thanks.

speed said:
First, they both talked about how Darwin is essentially their Jesus and Mohammed and Abraham rolled into one

Well that's unfortunate.

there is no equality, and no amount of education will make a violent man, less violent, or a person bad at math, any better.

I'm not so sure what to think of that. I mean, someone might not be genetically predisposed to be good at math but they can certainly work their ass off and become good at it. As far as I can tell, they would have to prove that such isn't possible but they haven't shown that. I think these guys are missing a simple distinction here.

Thus, here are two men, who have won about every award in the world, and one who maybe made the greatest scientific advances ever, both entirely upturning the ideas of free will, religion, environment, and the social sciences and psychology.

I'll say this much: Genetic predisposition is not inconsistent with the existence of free will. That would be more of a problem of neurobiology and causally sufficient conditions anyway. I think that they probably adhere to neurobiological determinism. That would have to be at least implicit in their arguments but from what you've posted it doesn't seem like they touch on that. That's an important concern because genetic predisposition does not necessitate their conclusions if the whole free will thing isn't argued for independently of all the genetic concerns. I don't know if I'm making much sense but anyway... I don't really appreciate it when scientists who lack a sense of philosophical subtlety and argumentative ability try to engage themselves in philosophical problems.

Wow. I feel like I just stumbled across a gold mine.

speed: Can you give some more header information on the show (e.g. the title of the episode)? I am looking for the transcription (I have a tv, but only use it for gaming), but have not found that one yet.

ARC150 said:
Wow. I feel like I just stumbled across a gold mine.

speed: Can you give some more header information on the show (e.g. the title of the episode)? I am looking for the transcription (I have a tv, but only use it for gaming), but have not found that one yet.

Well all I know is that it was on Wednesday's Charlie Rose show.

Cythraul said:
I'm not so sure what to think of that. I mean, someone might not be genetically predisposed to be good at math but they can certainly work their ass off and become good at it.

Supposing the amount of effort someone is willing to put into maths is also primarily genetics-derived, though? Can a person then be considered capable of working their ass off over something that they are genetically inclined to avoid pursuing? Similarly, can someone who is genetically inclined to pursue maths whole-heartedly despite initially lacking mathematical skills be considered "not genetically predisposed to be good at maths"?

The Timebird said:
Supposing the amount of effort someone is willing to put into maths is also primarily genetics-derived, though? Can a person then be considered capable of working their ass off over something that they are genetically inclined to avoid pursuing? Similarly, can someone who is genetically inclined to pursue maths whole-heartedly despite initially lacking mathematical skills be considered "not genetically predisposed to be good at maths"?
Good point. What about a kid who's FORCED to study math constantly? I believe this was the case with Beethoven and music (initially, that is)

The Timebird said:
hehe, most people I know who are bad at math are also bad at working their ass off to get better at math.

I'm always skeptical about such arguments for genetics as the cause for all behavior. First of all it ignores many examples of enviornment having massive impact on behvaior and even in some cases form. For example a perticular type of aligator in the southern part of the USA has its gender decided not by genes but rather by the temperature at the time of the egg's development(read some Brian Goodwin for further examples of form over function).

Second of all, and more importantly,even if it is the case that our genes give us a base set of dispostions, this gives us no foundation to believe that the environment doesn't have a huge impact how these dispositions are developed.

Third of all, it gives no foundation for the abandonment of physcology, philosophy, religion, anthroplogy etc because sociobiology is merely one way of interpreting evidence. Even if it is proven then all behavior is based in geneics, so what? Doesn't it seem that viewing the world from a wide array of persepctives is still the best way to really gain a grasp on its nature? This homoginization of methodlogy seems like a ploy by biologists who want a monoploy on knowledge of human nature, most of who are religious Darwinists who want to enforce their personal metaphysical assumptions onto the rest of society, which is definitley not a neccasary move...

Good post. I too dislike it when genetics is seen as a cause of all that we do. There is simply no evidence to suggest this.
Whilst i accept that our genes will affect our lives, and give us certain advantages or disadvantages, I see no reason to ignore the fact that where we live is almost definately affecting us.