A new band's first release: LP or EP?

Rockchops

Jan 23, 2008
I've been thinking about this for a long time now and i can't seem to make up my mind, any thoughts?

Release only your strongest songs. Cut out the shit and stuff that could use more work. If that leaves you with an EP, then do that.

This is something I need to try to talk my band into doing.

We have 10 songs worth of material and want to record it, but I feel some of the songs are BS filler and I actually really dislike some of them.

We're at this point where we've released 2 demos over the course of like 3 years and haven't professionally recorded an EP or LP.

Rest of the bandmates are the type to be all "lets record EVERYTHING and get it out there!! While I'm on the "record 2-3 songs PRO rather than 10 songs ourselves and have it 'meh'".

I agree with Sloan, just use your strongest songs. If you only have 3 or 4 great songs, then so be it. A few great songs will leave your fans thinking 'this is awesome, we want more!' while a 10-song album with mostly filler will leave them thinking 'it's good in places but a few songs could be better'.

Gate fold double vinyl.

Hah yeah fuck it tri-fold with a backpatch and make the cover have a lenticular with liquid blood pack over it. Comes with a bonus laser disc of the making of the cover, but not of the recording just the cover.

Wasn't there some Slayer album that had a blood pack collector's edition? I swear I remember seeing that but it's been forever. Always wanted to do that shit, it's totally overboard but still pretty cool.

New band? Do an E.P with your good stuff. I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity. I'd much rather hear 3 good songs by a band and be left wanting more than 10 songs and not feel like hitting the repeat play button ever again. Write more songs and keep working on the less good ones that didn't make this release until they're better.

In fact, I think alot of releases today are unnecessarily long and prefer listening to albums in around the 40-45 minute mark than to 60+ minutes. I think it's better for people to really get to know and love a shorter album rather than get tired out by too much information. At the end of the day you want people to enjoy your music and might as well put your best foot forward. There's no point having a few filler tracks to flesh out a release. If you don't fully stand behind the songs and like them then why should anyone else?