A new Black Metal FAQ

Guardian of Darkness said:
Actually, he's a pretty typical Anus board member. Might be a good idea for some of you to note that, if anything the majority of bias comes from you guys against them.

They're all racists though

Eh, most of them acknowledge that race is an inherent part of identity because everyone is partly a product of their genetics/ancestory (and thus being proud of it is no worse than being proud of anything one achieves), and a lot of them hate the values of some other races, it's not like they just blindly say things like 'HES FUCKIN BLACK HES A KNOB KILL ALL THE my pals'. There are quite a few people who irritate me on that board, but that's not because they're biased, it's just because they're stupid.

We've had a lot of Anus discussions, I'd like to see more discussion about the FAQ itself.

I read it yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. I'm still sure that alot of people would disagree to how idealogy is a big part in black metal. I sent it to a friend who always talks shit about making a black metal song about pink bunnies and such and he tells me that FAQ is an elitist load of shit. Oh well, can't please everyone. heh

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
he tells me that FAQ is an elitist load of shit. Oh well, can't please everyone. heh

Oh, it's definitely not biased towards black metal at all. Your friend probably doesn't know what he's talking about. One of the main things I liked about the FAQ was that it was written from a nice objective point of view, but all of the points were backed up by actual facts and not opinionated bullshit.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Eh, most of them acknowledge that race is an inherent part of identity because everyone is partly a product of their genetics/ancestory (and thus being proud of it is no worse than being proud of anything one achieves), and a lot of them hate the values of some other races, it's not like they just blindly say things like 'HES FUCKIN BLACK HES A KNOB KILL ALL THE my pals'. There are quite a few people who irritate me on that board, but that's not because they're biased, it's just because they're stupid.

We've had a lot of Anus discussions, I'd like to see more discussion about the FAQ itself.

But they're all racists though

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Oh, it's definitely not biased towards black metal at all. Your friend probably doesn't know what he's talking about. One of the main things I liked about the FAQ was that it was written from a nice objective point of view, but all of the points were backed up by actual facts and not opinionated bullshit.
Agreed.

Lykathea said:
This is debatable, but Death Metal isn't focused on one particular ideology, there are plenty of 'true' DM bands whose sound and lyrics don't conform to the established norm and are still as heavy as say, a Dismember or Cryptopsy. Good examples of bands deriving from the regular negative deathy sound would be Lykathea Aflame, Mithras, and later Death (I'm going to get flamed for this one). I don't listen to too much DM, but there are surely plenty of other bands that aren't purely chaotic and harsh, but also have an other-worldly uplifting element, like lots of black metal conveys.
Agreed.

DE said:
But they're all racists though
:tickled: Agreed. [/tongue-in-cheek]

-1992: Norwegian black metallers burnt the Fantoft stave Church, a historic building from Norway's medieval period and a symbol of Norway's Christianization, to the ground. Varg Vikernes, the musician behind Burzum, claimed responsibility

According to Varg, he didn't claim responsibility, but his friends sold him out to the cops. He has to hard feelins about that, since he rightly points out that they were young and coaxed into confessing.

Varg said:
As for me boasting and bragging about different crimes to all the guys in the scene, as claimed over and over again in the book, that too is a lie. When I was preparing for the lawsuit against me by the Oslo municipal lawyer and the insurance company I used a new councilor and his comment after reading through all the police interviews was that he had never before read such an amount of bullshit in his life. Not a single witness had actually heard from me that I had admitted to any crimes.

(This was him commenting on Lords of Chaos.

I found the FAQ to be rather objective and informative. For anyone who hasn't been around the metal scene for more than a few years, it was a good read. I do disagree with that definition of death metal. Death's Human, for example, has topics such as euthanasia, blind people's dreams, conjoined twins, and cosmology, but is definitely a DM album.

Cryptkeeper said:
Every single member?

I would say most. I used to moderate the anus boards, before becoming disillusioned with the sites' change of direction (i.e. what I saw to be a narrowing of the boards' focus from a place for all ideologies, to a place solely for nationalist / racist propaganda.)

This new environment was no longer conductive to disagreement with these ideals and after stepping down as moderator I was promptly banned for 'not wanted to debate.' I was a little annoyed at the time, especially in wake of the reasoning behind the banning, but then I remembered it was lunchtime.

If anyone cares to waste some of their life, the relevant threads are here:

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002918

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002301

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002299

I sometimes wonder if the entire site itself is actually a SRP troll. Anyway, aside from the terrorist / racist stuff I still enjoy his metal columns greatly.

The FAQ I thought was most ruling and I congratulate the author.

Nile577 said:
Those threads were especially disturbing due to the absolute confidence exuding from those who were posting the racist bullshit, as if it were fact and common knowledge and what sickens me is how warped their logic or self-importance must have become to convince themselves and attempt to convince others that those beliefs are nothing but...I don't know, evil. For lack of a better term.

Nile577 said:
I would say most. I used to moderate the anus boards, before becoming disillusioned with the sites' change of direction (i.e. what I saw to be a narrowing of the boards' focus from a place for all ideologies, to a place solely for nationalist / racist propaganda.)

I pretty much agree with this. The board is going backwards these days (though I don't think I visited it back when it was most productive) - only a few seem to add to any discussions, the rest seem to just participate in meaningless flamewars, whinge about whether or not metal is dead, semantics, problems in the world that they've already discussed a thousand times (I saw this guy drop litter today and he was a wiggah and he said it didn't matter, this is gay, am I right? Yeah, I know this wiggah guy who doesn't give two shits about the planet, I'm totally with you dude.), etc etc.

GoD said:
I saw this guy drop litter today and he was a wiggah and he said it didn't matter, this is gay, am I right? Yeah, I know this wiggah guy who doesn't give two shits about the planet, I'm totally with you dude
Seriously? Wow.

Racist environmentalists? That's cute. ;)

Well, he certainly made an interesting comparison between the season winter and the current state of BM. However, I think it was a little long-winded, and I don't agree with even half of his views. At least, I think, the gist of it is hoping for a wonderful BM future from the next generation of players and not to give up on BM because it is only in its adolescence or something.

It's certainly well written.
I wish there was something similar with death or doom metal since I don't generally give a shit about the black variety.

Thank you kindly, Sir.

Haha. That death metal one is almost entirely neutral diction and then...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.4- Gaythenburg, or Iron Maiden With a Cold is NOT Death Metal[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry kiddies, adding growled vocals to music of basic pop sensibilities is just not enough to make it death metal. Neither is adding growled vocals to would be if it could be "prog."[/font]​

Beautiful.

anonymousnick2001 said:
what sickens me is how warped their logic or self-importance must have become to convince themselves and attempt to convince others that those beliefs are nothing but...I don't know, evil.

:rolleyes: