A question about writing drum parts

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
When I ‘m writing drum parts for programmed drums I usually write a basic groove for each section eg verse chorus etc then I go back and add the fills. I usually try to use a different fill every time so if a chorus has three fills I’ll write three different fills. The when the next chorus come around I try to do three more fills so the same fill never gets played again. Sometimes they’re slightly different or completely different.

What you general approach to writing drum parts, in particular fills and general variation?

I have a bass ackwards way of writing music. I usually program some random drums first, then freestyle guitar to the drums until I come up with riffs that I like.

But, for drum writing alone, I write from start to finish and program any fills as I go along. I hate when you have, say, 16 bars of drums, and the same fill repeats at the end of every 4 or 8 bars. I always try to make different fills or variations of the same fill along with different velocities for more human feel.

I program the fills as I go and usually copy/paste verses and choruses but change exit fills. A fill that happens between bars 4/5 in an 8-bar chorus tends to be good to repeat IMO, adds to the memorability of it all.

Yeah, I just copy/paste and go back later and do the fills. If I stopped to write a new fill every time I would lose momentum, I think.

The worst thing for me is coming up with new and interesting-sounding drum parts. I kind of tend to shamelessly rip off drum parts from songs in my iTunes library, and if it's too complicated for me to map out by ear I try to find a cover on YouTube and watch exactly what's going on. But I change things enough that it doesn't sound identical, and I only copy verses or choruses or certain sections rather than the whole song, obviously.

It depends what you are writing to, if there are some guitars or the song is written on guitars first, especially if its most modern metal, the kick drums are usually following the rhythm guitars, either every literal 8th, 16th, triplet, of just the general feel for more strummy patterns. For me fills are most crucial in transitions rather than "oh, a repeat is coming up, better put a fill",

put them where necessary, so yeah, transitions, or if the drum part has been riding the cymbals and snare for too long either with the C - C - S - C pattern in 4/4, or a thrash beat on every crotchet, and needs a fill to break up monotony,

Only make a fill repeat if it is part of a transition so its memorable, like verse to chorus, any kind of hook, any other fill, in the middle of a section, fast riffs, in chug riffs, breakdowns/before breakdowns, solo's etc, make as interesting as possible whilst fitting the music and without overdoing it!

I would love some REAPER drum programming tips. I hate that shit.

I hate how, every time I create a new section of MIDI to add drums to, it zooms me out of piano roll. For example - I already start some MIDI, I'm zoomed in on the MIDI editor so everything is comfortable to my eyes, then CTRL +Click and drag to create the next chunk (outside the editor). When I zoom in on the new chunk, it automatically zooms me out and to the very end of the chunk. If that makes sense. Then I have to hit HOME and zoom back in. There's probably a way around this but I can't figure it out.

When I ‘m writing drum parts for programmed drums I usually write a basic groove for each section eg verse chorus etc then I go back and add the fills. I usually try to use a different fill every time so if a chorus has three fills I’ll write three different fills. The when the next chorus come around I try to do three more fills so the same fill never gets played again. Sometimes they’re slightly different or completely different.

What you general approach to writing drum parts, in particular fills and general variation?

I do exactly the same thing. But after maybe 3 songs I am runing out of good fills, because I am very very picky about the fills, most of the time I use a fill that sounds reasonable and then I edit them to fulfill my vision. I have a few midi drums fill from various packs but only 20% of them are useable. Well, more or less 50% are cool but most of the time dont fit the style or groove and the 30% left are shit, wihout groove or add nothing interesting.

I do exactly the same thing. But after maybe 3 songs I am runing out of good fills, because I am very very picky about the fills, most of the time I use a fill that sounds reasonable and then I edit them to fulfill my vision. I have a few midi drums fill from various packs but only 20% of them are useable. Well, more or less 50% are cool but most of the time dont fit the style or groove and the 30% left are shit, wihout groove or add nothing interesting.

I find the same thing. And since I'm not a drummer, I have trouble thinking of fills beyond "snare-tom-snare-tom-tom-tom-snare-tom" hahah.

Don't just put fills in for variation, but also switch between hihat and ride for some more variation. And with the ride you can switch between the bell and the rim. Or double up on snare hits halfway through a part, stuff like that. Don't have the same drumpart all the way through a verse or chorus. That's at least one thing I picked up from listening to our drummer.

I use guitar pro to write drum parts, it's just way easier than bothering with reaper. And as far as fills go, copy/paste the parts, then edit everything to taste after the whole song is done.

Good chat gents. Always good to confirm that I'm not completely (but almost) mad. I've also tried writing drum parts in Reaper and found it difficult. I use Pro Tools which the MIDI editor is probably no better but I'm used to it.

Yeah I second Guitar Pro. I'll just copy and paste drum parts together in there, and play/write riffs to those drum patterns and parts. Then I'll get specific with how I want the drums to be once all the guitars are constructed.

I like to first just play riffs that I like, then when I get a good one, I will add a fitting drum pattern to it, and then record a couple more riffs to the same beat (so the song will feel more coherent). Then I will do some different drum patterns, and record more riffs to them. Then finally I have a couple of basic beats for different things, and I start to mix and match. Usually I also do some new patterns that suit certain riffs better. Then I usually add the fills and variations. I always try to listen to some interesting drummers like Gene Hoglan, Morgan Ågren, or John Bonham to get some ideas.

I use my drummer for that ;) send him a stereotrack with guitars and a texfile with some pointers on where I want to go and get a midifile from him in return a few days later. Started doing it that way when he got a digikit for home practice and it works like a charm.