A Question For the old/growls fans ONLY

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
okay, so this is just out of interest, for all of you that only like the old albums, which i'd say are everything before DO, please state if you disagree or whatever:

do you like 'Day' ? and, hmm using Opeth as an example do you like the clean vocaled parts in their songs, or other bands who sing both clean and growls? :rolleyes: :err:

I like Day too, the atmosphere is just sooo coldly desperate and desolate, brrr... You can feel the misery so intensely... Lovit! Day would actually have fit on any of the later albums too really...

I actually think that, in retrospect, Day was a hint of what was to come, as for the style change. The change from DODS/FFTC to BMD was actually quite big already.

Don't like their last two albums. They are too alternative sounding. I prefer growls simply because clean voice reminds me of shitty power metal, but their are exceptions.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
I prefer growls simply because clean voice reminds me of shitty power metal, but their are exceptions.

Huh? All clean vocals resemble the power metal line of singing? That's a very odd attitude to have.

It's excellent! (Day)
Katatonia is an excellent band! (I just needed to say that right now!)
I love Dance Of December souls to death. All about moods/atmosphere, that's correct!

which brings me to my next point, do you like DEADHOUSE? i mean come on, if you like Day, you have to like Deadhouse, its got the same sort of atmosphere, and feel of Day, well at least to me, its great, i dont believe for a second that anyone could like Day and not Deadhouse, also, if you like Deadhouse you have to love the rest of Discouraged Ones. oh well, im sure a few of you at least will agree, Requiem dont you???

Yes, I like Deadhouse too, just like I like Day and the whole Discouraged Ones album. The atmosphere on DO is just so cold and desolate that it's choking in a way...

Anyone like RELENTION? One of my faves from DO... I can't believe Nyström and Fred Norrman mention this song as their least favourite Katatonia song... :confused: that guitar melody is so beautiful...

I love "Relention", it´s one of my faves on DO. Followed by "Cold Ways". Really cool songs, with a big atmosphere.

"Day" is not one of my faves on BMD. I actually like it, but it´s not a song, I could hear all the time.

i love the first three katatonia releases more than any other music that´s ever been created! last week i got finally some old live songs recorded 1993 in norrköping...totally cult! i wish i could have been in there back then...

i must say that i was deeply disappointed when after many months of waiting brave murder day was finally released. i was really looking forward to another great release of the best band in the world but unfortunately they couldn´t stand my high expectations. for funerals to come... was the last great release and indeed the funeral songs for that band. katatonia were never and will never be the same and i fear there will never be a band like old katatonia again! since 1995 i´m looking for such a band but all of them who were said to have "the great old katatonia sound and melancholy" were just shit and not in the least as great as my old gods...

now if anyone of you really knows a band that sounds like old katatonia (that great twin guitar lines...ahhhh...and the growls) please let me know!!!

rest in peace gods of grief!!!

... have you ever tried Maudlin of the Well?

And yes, i like Deadhouse, my favorite part is when the music stops and the seagul's (sp?) start weeping... of course Gateway's of Bereavement is better but Dance... wouldn't profit as much as DO and after releases. Beyond all Katatonia are still a good band, keep the good work!