a question:

SilentRealm

Apr 1, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I just want to know when the website will be up and running?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I wouldnt do that to you Jax and Lisa, just been reading all the threads surrounding that question)
actually, my question is for anyone who cares to answer.. what bands kick-ass in the half death/black half clean vox, prog/neoclassical dept?

This has become my favorite genre lately, mainly clean melody but with some badass death or black vox in there to add a subtle aggressive atmosphere. Of course Opeth rocks (thanks to shreddi) and even COB rocks now (altho full harsh vox but still neoclassical undertones, thanx to yngvai), and I like (the late band) Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, and i like Arcturus although I've only heard two songs (collapse generation and nightmare heaven, NH rocks).

So please give me all suggestions/recommendations.

i think Into Eternity is a good choise Yngster, i cant wait for their new album.
Also check out Soilwork, with their latest albums.. some would say their washups or sellouts because it is kinda semi-commercial and accesable unlike their earlier death (which is also kickass), but i think the new Soilwork is more in your prefereance.

Into Eternity I would highly suggest.

I am also enjoying the new Avenged Sevenfold "Waking the Fallen" which is a combination of punk, hardcore, melodic metal, and death/black too.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II - like Nightingale with death metal vocals plus extra aggression. It has mostly death vocals but every few tracks Dan gives us some clean passages. Like I have said before, tons of melody and is quite excellet.

Nightrage - Sweet Vengence - super super melodic with plenty of agression too. The singer is from At the Gates and has guest vocals on a few tracks from Tom from Evergrey. Super good stuff.

SilentRealm said:
ok, is cosmic genesis any good? its the only one i can get my hands on right now

Cosmic Genesis is brilllliant. My favorite Vintersorg album by far. Great lyrics, really catchy, and original melodies. Also one of the rare occaisons where black metal vocals don't piss me off, although they're not THAT common on the album. If you have the chance, pick that one up. You won't regret it!

That album was my introduction to Vintersorg...I can remember first hearing Astral and Arcane and thinking "this isn't what I expected...much better!" At the time, I heard him being linked with black metal and thought it would more typical of the genre...