A Question for Vintersorg

I read an interesting interview with you in Metal Maniacs magazine (I think that is the one) when the Borknagar album was released where you talked briefly about a time when you were living in solitude in a log cabin out in the wilderness. I can not seem to find the interview and can recall very few details - but all I remember is that the location where you lived was extremely close to the artic circle.

I was hoping that you could elaborate on this experience - such as why you chose to do it, when this was, and what you learned or what experience was gained from it. Of course, if you do not wish to elaborate on this I can fully understand - it is just that curiousity compelled me to ask. Thank you in advance.

I left the town of Skellefteå to seek solitude and honesty, I was to fed up with the fake axiom of the modern society and wanted to re-initialize my own personality. This was back in '96 and I moved out way on the countryside surrounded by woods and the other primary elements.

I did of course not do it cause of pretentious or myth reasons, I just felt back then that my spirits anatomi was so reduced by mans perplexity that I needed to find myslef again, so what is better then live in symbiosis with the nature. Of course there were hard times.....I remeber one winter when I came into the house and the temperature was -0,2 Celsius, and outdoors it was -30 Celsius....... and at the end I didn't have running water or toilett indoors........It was tough but I became whole again. I went back to Skellefteå in ´99 and are living there now. I've found a way to relax in this chaotic world we are a part of, and would shurley not do this event ones again. But with a perspective on it, I could say it was worth it, now I'm the happies guy in the neighbourhood, I'm in symbiosis with myself and Cosmos. And Have a life with my girlfriend that are very pleseant.

This became very personal, but that's the only way to explain it.

mr V

Originally posted by Vintersorg
I left the town of Skellefteå to seek solitude and honesty, I was to fed up with the fake axiom of the modern society and wanted to re-initialize my own personality. This was back in '96 and I moved out way on the countryside surrounded by woods and the other primary elements.

I did of course not do it cause of pretentious or myth reasons, I just felt back then that my spirits anatomi was so reduced by mans perplexity that I needed to find myslef again, so what is better then live in symbiosis with the nature. Of course there were hard times.....I remeber one winter when I came into the house and the temperature was -0,2 Celsius, and outdoors it was -30 Celsius....... and at the end I didn't have running water or toilett indoors........It was tough but I became whole again. I went back to Skellefteå in ´99 and are living there now. I've found a way to relax in this chaotic world we are a part of, and would shurley not do this event ones again. But with a perspective on it, I could say it was worth it, now I'm the happies guy in the neighbourhood, I'm in symbiosis with myself and Cosmos. And Have a life with my girlfriend that are very pleseant.

This became very personal, but that's the only way to explain it.

mr V

very brave done..
I wouldn't live a month...
i'd die right away :cry:

Thanks for replying Mr. V - to me that would also have been quite a powerful experience. I would love to have the opportunity and willpower to do something akin to that, or at least be able to travel around the world freely without restraint.

I live in the United States in the 4th largest city in the country (Houston, Texas). Most often, I have too many factors in my life to contend with and they do cause me stress and grief. For the longest time now, I have felt that I would like to be rid of those factors and simply escape somewhere peaceful.

However at the same time I find it is hard to gather the courage, willpower, or devotion to make such a life altering decision such as that. It is especially difficult considering I would have to leave behind material things that have become a part of my lifestyle - such as this computer!

I asked you about your experience because I have felt this way for a long time now, and reading that interview with you was quite a surprise to me - it was amazing to see that someone would actually take such a bold action, especially in a world where nearly everything prevents us in some way from living a kind of life other than a materialistic one. It is hard to escape a materialistic world when you are born into one.

Thank you for sharing, and while I personally find it hard to envision myself as ever taking such an action, I am inspired by the fact that someone else has done so.

Originally posted by Blackspirit

Naw, you wouldn't die, you'd just have to give in,
and realize that this was not for you... >:eek:P Hehe....

Nope.. i would die...

But it would take some while..

since i only have to eat one time on 2 days and can survive on little.. i don't feel well doing that.. but i can survive.. i've been doing this for 3 years now...

Thank you, Vintersorg, great that you did that. I always think to do that myself but hell, I had go to school, work etc.. I hope a day will come that I can do that and here it never be -20 Celcius so that<s no problem, hehe