Question for vintersorg.

Jan 6, 2005
Hello Vintersorg.

I would like to ask you a question. In the song "Star Puzzle", from the "The Focusing Blur" album, you sing an E several times while the guitar is playing in G minor. Why do you do this, using two different keys at the same time?

Thank you very much.

The words I´m talking about are in brackets -

Eight minutes (of) experiences not understandable
In a puzzling journey of particle suction
I would (sell) my soul if it were possible
To ride the sun's frequent eruptions

Learning calcu(la)tions made by the magnanimous
Using the magnitude parallax as the cosmic tool
Ignored by the (na)rrow-minded as ridiculous,
But even Newton was called a fool!

That's correct..but When I compose I try to think beyond the laws of theoretical music, I try to invoke emotions, and I just felt it was the best way to express myself at that part using that combination...those kind of things makes music interesting and adventurous in my way of thinking.

mr V

oh my god, people who can say the name of the notes just by hearing have my full respect!
I wish my hearing was that good but it isn't ;)

Thidrek said:
oh my god, people who can say the name of the notes just by hearing have my full respect!

You'd be suprised, it only takes a pretty basic knowledge of scales and music to be able to tell a note by hearing it. For example, all keys of the notes sound similar. You can tell the difference between an A and a B no problem, I'm sure.

Edit: Wow. That looks like I really messes up somewhere, but I can't think too well at the moment. If anyone has any corrections to make, please do so.

Oh, I think you got me wrong.
I know something about scales and I can differ if there's an A or a B but i can't tell you "That's a C" if someone plays it on a piano and i have to guess...

I have one for you mr. V...
I'm from the distant southern lands of CHILE and I want to know...are you aware of the quantity of metalheads that enjoys your music here in CHILE???...It's pretty impossible the fact that in a short period you could give a concert here???...well...that's all...HAIL VINTERSORG!!!

Thidrek said:
Maybe he tried out the tunes on his piano at home....anyone can do that:cool:
He isn´t mentioning anywhere that he has "perfect pitch" (is that the correct word for absolut gehör?)

Yes, perfect pitch is right.

But figuring out tunes and stuff is hard for me though I have different musical instruments home. Maybe it comes woth playing :)

Southern Blaze said:
I'm from the distant southern lands of CHILE and I want to know...are you aware of the quantity of metalheads that enjoys your music here in CHILE???...It's pretty impossible the fact that in a short period you could give a concert here???...well...that's all...HAIL VINTERSORG!!!

Haha...thats great. I get the feeling that I'm the only Vintersorg fan in all of Alaska. I know Borknagar was unheard of up here until I shared some of it with people.

Hello again Vintersorg, thanks a lot for answering me so fast.

I really understand what you mean... I study classical guitar in the music school and I´m also the main composer of a metal band. Yes, thinking beyond the laws of theoretical music is interesting, but I think in this case the result is a bit confusing. When I heard the vocal melody for the first time I thouhgt: "MMM there´s somethig strange here" (my girlfriend told me exactly the same thing). In your music there are a lot of examples of well done "modern" harmony (I mean not usual in metal music) but, in my humble opinion, sometimes those changes are not totally controled. - This is just an opinion, I don´t want you to think that I´m criticizing your way of writing music -

In the song "Microscopical Macrocosm" there´s something interesting that I like so much, but I have some doubts about it. You begin the track with a B minor chord but the song seem to be in D minor key (that´s very clear in the chorus - Dm / BbM / Dm / Am / BbM / CM. What does that B minor mean? Is it a chord taken from the relative major key? That chord creates a lot of instability with the following Dm / Am...

I´m also very interested in maths (I study architecture), and it would like to ask you a few questions some day...

Thank you very much again.

PD - Thank you Thidrek for your kind words! I haven't got a totally perfect pitch, but sometimes it works. I´m trying to develope it to that point, but I have a hard work to do.

All i know is that on the song "mind tools", the last song on focusing blur, vintersorg sings out of key for like a split second.

I think its when he sings the lyric "a paradox that i still escape"...its horribly out of key. Does anyone else notice this? And if you see this mr. V, im not tryin to bust on your tunes or anything...just something i noticed and it bothered me.

Southern Blaze said:

Nice to hear....at the moment we're focusing on the new album that we'll be recording this year..so we don't have any tourdates at the moment booked

mr V

Pablo Carrascosa-Stigian Lake said:
Hello again Vintersorg, thanks a lot for answering me so fast.

I really understand what you mean... I study classical guitar in the music school and I´m also the main composer of a metal band. Yes, thinking beyond the laws of theoretical music is interesting, but I think in this case the result is a bit confusing. When I heard the vocal melody for the first time I thouhgt: "MMM there´s somethig strange here" (my girlfriend told me exactly the same thing). In your music there are a lot of examples of well done "modern" harmony (I mean not usual in metal music) but, in my humble opinion, sometimes those changes are not totally controled. - This is just an opinion, I don´t want you to think that I´m criticizing your way of writing music -

In the song "Microscopical Macrocosm" there´s something interesting that I like so much, but I have some doubts about it. You begin the track with a B minor chord but the song seem to be in D minor key (that´s very clear in the chorus - Dm / BbM / Dm / Am / BbM / CM. What does that B minor mean? Is it a chord taken from the relative major key? That chord creates a lot of instability with the following Dm / Am...

I´m also very interested in maths (I study architecture), and it would like to ask you a few questions some day...

Thank you very much again.

PD - Thank you Thidrek for your kind words! I haven't got a totally perfect pitch, but sometimes it works. I´m trying to develope it to that point, but I have a hard work to do.
I know what you mean..but the B minor in the begining is something that I really love with the song, I felt that we neede something more eerie and weired to start with as the rest of the song is quite "harmonic" so this was a good idea to reach the vibe I was looking for..it was just like lightning from a clear sky...but I don't actually like to decode the music we play, it's about emotions and I don't want to inplant any ideas in peoples head, everyone should make their own vision out of it

mr V