a "re-amp" test

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Ok, so my band has been working on a 3 song demo. Do-it-yourself deal. Mainly been working with a Fast Track Pro except drums were done with a Tascam interface.

Now, we have clean (DI?)guitars tracked....just ran the guitars straight into the Fast Track Pro, then into Reaper.

I've been applying amp sims on the guitar tracks, but I'm not fully satisfied with the outcome. I really wanted to mic up a Dual Recto and Mesa Mark IV and maybe a 5150 for this....but I heard word that impedences wouldnt match and noise etc is going to happen.

Last night, just for shits and giggles, I ran the 1/4" line out of my interface into my 5150 input. it worked, and no bad noise or anything.

My question is: could this potentially harm my amp or interface if I keep doing it? I was having a hard time getting a THICK sound....had to work with the Mix knobs to basically push more gain into the amp....which kinda worried me and so I stopped. Has anyone else done it this way? Should I just spend the $200 on Reamp and DI boxes?

Thinking I'll try to blend a few different guitar tracks with different impulses and see if that thickens things up a bit.

When you have an instrument input on your interface, you only need a reamp box for about $100. I don't know if you harm your equipment when not using one, but it will sound better if you use a reamp box. It's a great investment if you already have proper amps to reamp your tracks with.

When you have an instrument input on your interface, you only need a reamp box for about $100. I don't know if you harm your equipment when not using one, but it will sound better if you use a reamp box. It's a great investment if you already have proper amps to reamp your tracks with.

ahh I see! So the interface is acting as a DI box I'm guessing?