A Silver Mount Zion - He Has Left Us Alone...

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
A Silver Mount Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms
By Russell Garwood

He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms, is the debut album from Montreal post rock band A Silver Mount Zion, formed by three members of Godspeed You Black Emporer!.

“To some extent, Mt. Zion was born out of a desire on the part of the godspeed players to work in a smaller musical ensemble; in effect, to escape some of the constraints that often accompany writing and arranging music democratically with nine musicians”
-constellation records

This is just what ASMZ have done, their sound is very much like a stripped down godspeed… but much more. Formed by three Godspeed… members, namely guitarist Elfrim Menuck, bassist Thierry Amar, and violinist Sophie Trudeau, the music conveys more emotion than their “brother” band. Written for Elfrim’s dog, Wanda who died of cancer, He Has Left Us… is extremely bleak, and often dark, but with a seductive beauty that runs throughout. From the opening “Broken Chords Can Sing A Little” with sparse piano chords and sound clips of a preacher through the more textural “Sit In The Middle Of Three Galloping Dogs”, to the multi-layered “13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round The Side Of Your Bed” there is a kind of winding progression to the album.

Musically, silence is used to good effect throughout, and the large pauses which frequently occur add to the atmosphere. Elfrim’s nasal vocals on “Movie (Never Made)” are strangely affecting, and leave me feeling it’s a shame they are not used more often, even with lyrics like “Let's kill first the banker with his professional demeanour/Let's televise and broadcast the raping of kings/Let our crowds be fed on tear gas and plate glass/'Cause the people united is a wonderful thing” and, "I know that you're dying, and I know I'm unwell/And together we sashay to variations of hell".

My favourite track has to be the eerie “13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round The Side Of Your Bed”, a track of such astounding beauty it is impossible to be left unaffected by it, however well you know it. However the album (actually made of two pieces, split into tracks for cd) feels like one song, and merges beautifully, negating the need for pretentious song titles.

In essence, while not everyone would like this album, it is a necessity for any fan of music irrespective of genre, and those who let this affected their judgment would be advised to grow up.

wow!

lyrically that stuff seems really dark :)
and musically i wonder if there are perhaps elements which are parallel to some of the darker passages of mogwai's come on die young.

cheers for that review. it was really quite informative and insightful.

Originally posted by crumbling mirth
wow!

lyrically that stuff seems really dark :)
and musically i wonder if there are perhaps elements which are parallel to some of the darker passages of mogwai's come on die young.

Yeah, I saw similarities, but I've only got come on die young recently so don't know it that well yet :) It doesn't seem quite as dark when he's singing it really :eek:

cheers for that review. it was really quite informative and insightful.

My pleasure :) I'm glad someone read it! :D

This is far superior to anything GY!BE has ever done(except maybe East Hastings and Providence from f#a#oo), and to think the sophomore effort "Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards" was a million times better still..

Good review btw, captured the album perfectly :)