A Simple Mistake - Anathema's second new release

I think I'll be the first to say ( I think?) that I like "Everything" better than this new one. I love the colours, the harmonization, and the buildup in "Everything," I honestly don't think it's cheesy. Music doens't always ahve to be depressing.

So, is the band ever going to release an album again? Even if they stay unsigned. I would love to find these new songs on an album that I can keep in my hands, not download a new song every few months.

there are also other musics already recorded.. but its not oficially released.. somehow leaked..
alphabetically..

Anathema - A Simple Mistake (demo 2006)
Anathema - Bricks
Anathema - Everything (demo 2006)
Anathema - Hindsight
Anathema - Lightening Song (demo 2006)
Anathema - Masters (demo 2006)
Anathema - One Day (danny rehearsal 2006)
Anathema - The Hills Have Eyes (full band rehearsal 2006)
Anathema - Unchained (demo 2006)

really good stuff !!!!!!!!

Cliche Kid said:
Hey guys,

Massive Opeth, Buckley, Katatonia fan and I only own 1 Anathema album (The one with pressure, release and inside/outside on).

I have seen Anathema live once a few years ago and they were good but never bothered looking in to them further.

Which of their albums are the most dark, slow and kinda atmospheric/haunting?

Cliche

try Alternative 4. it is a bit dry, but you should have no problem liking it.
:headbang:

I do not pleasure to me
afichepagina.jpg

Oh man, whats wrong with me?
Katatonia and Anathema are 2 of my favorite bands, i have everything they released and love it. But i don't really like TCGD and these 2 new anathema songs. Every single Anathema release had songs that made me wet my pants... temporary peace, one last goodbye, forgotten hopes, angelica, the beloved, are you there?, electricity, etc. And all of the alternative 4 album, which is problably the 1 album i would take to a desert island, my all time fave. But these new songs... well, they might be "ok", but man, i expect so much more from Anathema, so i'm really disappointed. I spent all day listening to "a simple mistake", so it would grow on me... but id didn't grow much.
Same happened with TGCD from Katatonia. I love everything thay made, my least favorite being Viva Emptiness, which even though i liked better than TGCD. I just think that the better songs from TGCD are worse than almost everything on LFDGD, Tonights Decision, Discouraged Ones, Brave Murder Day... they just don't do it for me.
Am i getting old or something?? Cause i know that TGCD was acclaimed, even from long time Kata fans.

Since I downloaded the track today I wanna bring this thread back to daylight.So my first feelings about the song are not bad especially I can say that I like the part after 4.17. It's a lot better than Everthing it's for sure.But the thing is I feel there's something missing or maybe wrong with it.I mean the lyrics are great but where are all the gloomy feelings and lyrics?I can see that they are changing the direction of their music but Anathema and positivity...I don't know but I'd prefer the depressive stuff that they had been making for so many years.I like it when the bands change and take a different direction and I can say that I'm pretty open-minded about music but somehow I feel this change won't be a progress for Anathema since there are tons of stuff made in the same sound and feelings.Anathema's task(in my eyes) was bringing a new voice to depressive and gloomy music so I really hope that they won't turn into a complete post rock band with positive feelings and light,love etc.There are a lot of bands of this kind of music and I think that shouldn't be the new path of Anathema.Of course that's my opinion and I'm curious about what you guys think about this?

Oh man, whats wrong with me?
Katatonia and Anathema are 2 of my favorite bands, i have everything they released and love it. But i don't really like TCGD and these 2 new anathema songs. Every single Anathema release had songs that made me wet my pants... temporary peace, one last goodbye, forgotten hopes, angelica, the beloved, are you there?, electricity, etc. And all of the alternative 4 album, which is problably the 1 album i would take to a desert island, my all time fave. But these new songs... well, they might be "ok", but man, i expect so much more from Anathema, so i'm really disappointed. I spent all day listening to "a simple mistake", so it would grow on me... but id didn't grow much.
Same happened with TGCD from Katatonia. I love everything thay made, my least favorite being Viva Emptiness, which even though i liked better than TGCD. I just think that the better songs from TGCD are worse than almost everything on LFDGD, Tonights Decision, Discouraged Ones, Brave Murder Day... they just don't do it for me.
Am i getting old or something?? Cause i know that TGCD was acclaimed, even from long time Kata fans.
You don't like it as much because they changed their style, maybe.... :p

You're really a Pentecost III fan eh..? ;) I see those songs pop up in your playlist very often.

which is a goot thing, because Pentecost is an awesome release!

must hear songs from Anathema:
A Dying Wish, Eternity part 1, One Last Goodbye, Regret, Kingdom, Everwake, Restless Oblivion, Sleepless, Angelica, Parisienne Moonlight, Release, Pulled Under 1000 Meters A Second, Empty, Violence

A fine day/ natural ftw.

Anyhow as far as the direction they're taking I don't see it that big of a change from their past two releases. Still pretty melancholy. I know they said the new cd would be one of hope, but I think thats more of a lyrical theme. A bunch of other bands who heard their new cd said this would be their best. We shall see.

to me, 'everything' represents hope very well.. i think the previous two releases were quite despairing... 'everything' maintains melancholia with kind of a PT beauty feel to it
sounds incredible

Haven't listened to everything since it was released for dl. I remember not liking it too much.

Just relistened, and it's pretty good. I recently started really digging the more positive lyrics in contrast to depressing music. Not many bands do it any it's really cool. This song isn't really depressing in any way though so hopefully more songs in minor on the cd.

Off-topic: Yeah Pentecost III is a masterpiece..Kingdom, We the gods, all this "tragedy" feeling surrounding it, the note on the booklet, Darren's "old-school" doomy touch..

On-topic: I like the song, very much. The first half gives me this psychedelic melancholy feeling somewhere between Radiohead's "Street Spirit" and Katatonia's "Day". And ends with a cool uplifing instrumental.

I will always prefer the old stuff, just before 'A Fine Day to Exit' to be specific, but still, Anathema can easily get inside me. Anathema are quality.