A specific type of Death Metal

_JC_

[insert title here]
Aug 20, 2007
Im looking for complex death metal that makes use of contrast between light and heavy. No blasting just for the sake of blasting. So far I seem to be digging Cynic, but DM is definitely not my specialty, so I am void of any other examples. Also, nothing cheesy please (ex: no gothenburg and no to most "melodeath").

I know this is a bit of a broad request, but please feel free to throw anything at me you feel I may like.

Post some examples or something. Intelligent death metal with contrast is a little weird.

Nile's lyrics avoid idiotic gore and are largely based in Egyptian mythology and usually well written, dunno if that really counts as intelligent. Their music I guess contrasts atmospheric sections with brutal technical asskicking. Or at least, they do on In Their Darkened Shrines.

Death's later stuff has intelligent lyrics. Dunno about contrast.

Can't think of anything else atm. Examples would really help.

Hmm. Unfortunately, Im void of any examples lol. DM is not really my territory. I was leaving the wording up to interpretation, but I can see how confusing the original request may be.

What I mean by intelligent doesnt really have to do with lyrics. Come to think of it, intelligent was probably the wrong word to use. Im just looking for music that goes somewhere, rather than brutality for the sake of brutality. But, I think the request for contrast may have already summed that bit up. I'll edit the original post, so its not as confusing. or redundant.

EDIT: alright, I have an example. I poked arounda bit, and I really seem to like Cynic. It seems Im looking for complex DM with some technical elements, and a good use of contrast.

Both Atheist and Pestilence fall into the same general catagory as Cynic. Both of those bands final (?, maybe) albums, while not strictly death metal, used heavier elements and really progressive ideas.

A couple more modern bands to check would be Alethian, who actually pull off a reasonable of cover of How Could I, and Augury, who are very heavy but use a female soprano in a non-cheesy way.

There's a number of other good ones as well but those 4 should get you started and keep you sated for a while. And if you plug all five into last.fm or something similar it should set you on the right track.

Both Atheist and Pestilence fall into the same general catagory as Cynic. Both of those bands final (?, maybe) albums, while not strictly death metal, used heavier elements and really progressive ideas.

A couple more modern bands to check would be Alethian, who actually pull off a reasonable of cover of How Could I, and Augury, who are very heavy but use a female soprano in a non-cheesy way.

There's a number of other good ones as well but those 4 should get you started and keep you sated for a while. And if you plug all five into last.fm or something similar it should set you on the right track.
Yeah, OP, I think you will really like Atheist.

The music is technical, it's not wankery, interesting.

Also, Atheist has really good lyrics.

How much contrast do you like? If you like lots then I'd suggest checking out Opeth.

Also Gojira have some really heavy shit, with enviromental,intelligent lyrics that are away from the norm.

Dude, lyrics about UFOs are awesome tbh.

Also, what about Motherman, or Brains?

What man creates man will surely destroy
The rule of thumb
In the mouths of little boys
Earth spins delight
We kill everything in sight
To serve the needs
And all purple skies will bleed
MotherMan.

It all seems so strange
The mutes the bums
The dogs with mange, the poor,
Doesn't anybody help themselves anymore
I guess not
Barefoot pregnant women
Little kids with snot on their face
A land of plenty, a dynasty of disgrace !
An Incarnation's dream

A caravan or process if you will
A stream of conscious waves
A prostitute of ideas
A maze of tracing knowledge
First and foremost feed your head !
Brains

Also, I bet there is a good chance that they were high when they wrote those lyrics. Considering they were usually high when they wrote the music.

Dude, lyrics about UFOs are awesome tbh.

Also, I bet there is a good chance that they were high when they wrote those lyrics. Considering they were usually high when they wrote the music.

I wouldn't complain about their lyrics but I wouldn't highlight them, they seem generally well written but not particularly creative.

Alright, that should be more then enough to get me started :)

Thanks guys :kickass: