A strange thing to me, do you understand this ? (metering content)

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
I think it may be something I'm not getting, maybe it's just the way peaks are calculated, but still I can't get why ? I'm just doing 2 things here :
- loudness with ozone to -0.3 dBS
- hipassing sub low end

when hipass is on, it's clipping (I mean, the metering says so, I have trouble hearing a real difference). When it's off, it's not. Why ?

wtf1.jpg

wtf2.jpg

That's because you're already limiting the mix, so if you process anything AFTER the limiter it will obviously go over the ceiling. Think about it, your pushing the signal to -0dB, if you make any kind of processing afterwards it will override the limiter, you have to put the EQ before the limiter.

The highpass filter isn't as cut and dry as it looks in the plugin's display. It is altering the gain of other frequencies as well as part of the EQ algorithm (all EQs have to do this), especially frequencies near the roll off point if I recall correctly. So you might have a random 1db peak with an almost infinitely narrow Q at some frequency near the roll off as part of the EQ algorithm.

You may also want to know that sometimes, subtractive EQing can actually RAISE the overall volume of the processed track. Of course this is not the case here, but this could have a rare chance to happen even of Ozone was off.

The increase in level is being caused by phase issues from the Hi Pass filter. This kind of processing needs to be done with a Linear Phase EQ. As stated earlier, your limiter should also be last in this processing chain.

Hey, i know its stupid after the limiter :) i just accidentally discovered that.

I didnt think the resonance at a rolloff point could be as high as 2dB even for a hipass ! I'm so surprised.

Do you worry about it and use a specific filter to hi/lowpass usually ?

Linear phase multiband EQ is great for mastering a track with an un even frequency balance.
If you find that you can not 'get your loudness' then use a linear phase EQ like Waves linEQ instead of normal EQ (and sometimes even a comp) will work wonders. It is just like C4, only linear phase which means only the area of EQ you are working on will be effected then, a limiter or clipper should get you the rest of the way. More colored types of EQ are best used in a mix.

I don't worry about it. Its more of an issue with a full mix than with a mono track. I'd use T racks linear eq for master bus hi pass, or any other master eq for that matter.