A Taste of Oldschool.... Obituary-Cause of Death

JonnyD

Chef Metal
Jun 4, 2002
The Metal Kitchen
www.myspace.com
I was just Listening to this Death Metal classic the other day and I just LOVE it at points its so slow it grinds you into the pavement but then again it gets moving pretty quick and their cover of Circle of the Tyrants is worth the price of the album you can really get a sense of how much of an Influence Celtic frost was on their early work ... Roadrunner has released this album along with another cant remember which But I highly Suggest that any and all run out and grab this DM Gem!!!

cause.jpg

JonnyD said:
Roadrunner has released this album along with another cant remember which But I highly Suggest that any and all run out and grab this DM Gem!!!

Always been a favorite of mine when Obituary is concerned, because of great songwriting, but largely due to James Murphy's presence. :worship:
The guy IMO ranks as one of the top soloists in metal, high up there with Andy LaRocque and few other assorted geniuses.

SickBoy said:
Always been a favorite of mine when Obituary is concerned, because of great songwriting, but largely due to James Murphy's presence. :worship:
The guy IMO ranks as one of the top soloists in metal, high up there with Andy LaRocque and few other assorted geniuses.

I agree! James Murphy is AWSOME!!!! one of my alltime favorite players and he is the reason Cause of Death is my Favorite Obituary album and Why Testament's Low is my Favorite of theirs James is Incredible!!!! His Solo albums are good and Disincarnate mmmm Great Death Metal! But to Obituary's Credit I am Fond of World Demise and Back From the Dead and the live album Dead is great too Alan West is a Great Guitar player in his own right His stuff on the first 2 SFU albums is Excellent!

Some albums are so easy to listen to from beginging to end and this album is one of them. It's excellent! I love it! :)

I have this and haven't listened to it for ages. Now I will have to give it spin this weekend! I liked it back when I bought it, but I wasn't into death metal much. I actually appreciate that style of music more now. The vocals still get on my nerves after a while though. I can listen to a few songs, but it seems I can't take a whole album of it. That being said, I like bands that mix it up with the clean and death vox. Like Opeth and Into Eternity.

Anyway, thanks JD for giving me some inspiration to break out an old album of mine! :wave:

SavaRon said:
I have this and haven't listened to it for ages. Now I will have to give it spin this weekend! I liked it back when I bought it, but I wasn't into death metal much. I actually appreciate that style of music more now. The vocals still get on my nerves after a while though. I can listen to a few songs, but it seems I can't take a whole album of it. That being said, I like bands that mix it up with the clean and death vox. Like Opeth and Into Eternity.

Anyway, thanks JD for giving me some inspiration to break out an old album of mine! :wave:

One thing I always liked about Obituary the vocals werent typical DM vocals ... and hell as far as Pure Death Metal albums goes "Cause of Death" is my all time Favorite ... I dont know much Opeth but Into Eternity is GREAT! I Love em!!!!

Yes, Road Runner made a re-issue double pack with Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death. I dont get the whole point why they have to make it a double pack along with a bunch of metal classics like Suffocation. I have Slowly We Rot but I still have not got my filthy hands on Cause of Death yet.

Well, Obituary were pretty much a stripped down, death metal version of Celtic Frost. Thanks to James Murphy's melodic yet creepy soloing really fits well with Obituary on Cause of Death. And, I like John Tardy's vocals the best in all metal.

Platinum Maze said:
Opeth and Into Eternity rule.

Have you tried Orphaned Land and Scar Symmetry? Similar to Opeth and Into Eternity to my ears. Scar Symmetry doesn't have a domestic US release yet but it's supposed to be in the works.

I have their Anthology and enjoy it thoroughly, I have heard every album individually though and liked them all. Threatening skies is my favorite though.