A very stupid question on Dropped B tuning?

mirflee

SSL Studios
Feb 19, 2007
I was thinking, is it normal to have the B string in the case of Dropped B tuning for guitars to move back and forth when tuning? I mean, GTune would tell me its in tune, only if I'd keep picking the string but when I don't, it keeps dropping in and out of tune.

I'm using a Telecaster Custom with D'Addarios Drop C series 12-60, nicely fitted on the nut and a comfortable medium action.

Apologies if it seemed like a very stupid post.

Have tou tried another tuner? I recall some vst tuners I've tested didn't quite know what was happening when I tried to tune the low B. And if I tuned with my korg pitch black there was no problem.

And I assume you don't use 6 month old strings.

I've tried most of the other VST tuners and came up to the same conclusion. However, will give it a go with hardware tuners. Anyway, I put on fresh strings before every tracking. :D

This is because with less string tension, the note goes sharp when first picked and then the pitch drops as it sustains. If you're playing a part that has constant picking, tune it so that it's in tune when you first pick the string.

This is because with less string tension, the note goes sharp when first picked and then the pitch drops as it sustains. If you're playing a part that has constant picking, tune it so that it's in tune when you first pick the string.

This, but he said he was using a 60 with a tele (25.5" scale) so unless he is practically breaking his pick with abusive hard knocks I can't see the pitch of the string going flat during sustain. This is coming from a guy that uses a 52 for D and C, and a 54 for B and has no pitch problems on the low strings and I am a very aggressive percussive picker.

Some tuners just have a hell of a time tracking lower picthes and start geting errors, that is why I only really trust hardware tuners, since I have not had much of a pitch variation with them in my experience.

I had those problems when I first tuned to drop B.
I had two problems, the pick itself and the tuner. I was using podfarm's tuner and went crazy with the low b. I was also using tortex 88's.

Being a bigger pick meant I kinda grabbed the string when picking, making that "baoooowwww" sound, switched to jazz3's and podxt's tuner, no problems ever since.
If the guitar is well ( truss rod, neck pitch) it shouldn't be a problem, just use a hardware tuner.

Brilliant inputs here! I really appreciate the help guys. Now, I'm gonna get me a KORG Pitchblack and start tracking straightaway.

Thanks again. :D

Yeah the 12th fret harmonic is a good trick aswell! And like posted above, not picking like a horny gorilla might give you a more even reading.

But the korg pitch black has certainly served me well!

sometimes with Drop B tunings it seems that the intonation is a bit off, ive learnt a trick where after you tuned it, you tune the low B by ear by playing both B strings on 2d fret. Do this also with 2 open b strings until you've got a good compromise between them.

You should definitely always check by ear to make sure it sounds good with the higher B string. I tune to drop B using Ernie Ball not even slinkies (12-56) and I rarely have issues, but I HATE plug in tuners. I use Peterson stroboflip or the Peterson strobosoft on my iphone. IMO, the iphone app Peterson is the best tuner for the money. like 14 bucks and it's AMAZING.

There is no such thing as a stupid question (my teachers would always say) unless it's that one... :cry: haha, just messing... My metalcore projects are almost exclusively in drop B so i've had this very same problem. It's a combination of things, many of what people have said here already ring true but there's more that can be said.
+1 on the use of vst or plugin tuners. They suck donkey dick, I downloaded a strobe tuner on my iphone for like $2.99 and it works wonders believe it or not.

+1 on the use of thicker gauge strings, in my experiences even the Ernie balls 12-56 "Not Even Slinky's" is on the thin side for drop B tuning. I have a 60 on my E string cause alot of times I like to go down into A# for practice or to write and don't want to change out the strings everytime but it's more fitted for B, but it seems you already have 60 so that shouldn't really be an issue.

+1 on the 12th harmonic BUT here's the deal... you really should intonate your guitar for that to work right. It's not hard to do, you can learn how by watching some videos on youtube, but your guitar should always be intonated anyhow, the cheaper the guitar the more often it will go out, which brings me to the next topic... DON'T RECORD WITH CHEAP GUITARS!!

I can't stress that last part enough. I can't tell you how many times some kids roll into my studio space wanting to do a single, pay the basic rate and decide to stick with their gear. Every damn time, I say "before you come in take your guitars to have a fresh setup and intonation if you want this to sound as best as possible." Sure as the sun sets in the west towards the end of the tracking session their notes are going a few cents flat and it fucks up THE WHOLE THING, becuase they didn't want to spend a few extra dollars to have it setup properly. Guess what, that solo at the end, sounds like the irritable brakes on the POS volkswagen they rolled in on. Oh shit, we need to redo a lead in the beginning!? Guess what! Now the ENTIRE SONG sounds like shit. Sorry kids, nothing I can really do about that! But atleast your triggered drums and vocals will sound beast :confused:. Ha Ha! So yea, at first try a hardware tuner, if not that the strings, still no dice? Your guitar sucks. Get a new guitar. SirKnuckles Out.

If I'm recording a band tuned to B (or drop A) I always tune up my ESP MI NTB with a set of 11s but don't use the high E string and use a D bass string for the low B. I have found that this gives fantastic tuning stability and lets you track without having to constantly tune and drop in.
I have to unwind the machine head end of the string to fit it into the machine head. Any time I used to track using a thick "guitar" string it was tuning hell.

Just read through this,

Wow, you guys are gods at this. Anyway, very very helpful, I might just flip out my notepad and take down these.

Moving on, I'm thinking of investing in a POD HD Pro. Still can't get that Axe FX though cause it costs something like 2.5k here in Southeast Asia. :zzz:

The tuner's in the HD Pro probably good to go right? Or should I still get the Pitchblack instead?

Best regards!

Boss also has this fairly popular pedal called Chromatic tuner. But korg is black so...

Jk. Just look wich one looks better to your eyes. And as for the pod xt tuner, I can't say since I have no experience with it. But if you plan to use your guitar without a computer, a hardware tuner is the shit.

Boss also has this fairly popular pedal called Chromatic tuner. But korg is black so...

Jk. Just look wich one looks better to your eyes. And as for the pod xt tuner, I can't say since I have no experience with it. But if you plan to use your guitar without a computer, a hardware tuner is the shit.

Haha, black is badass!

Anyway, I think you misread. It's the POD HD Pro, I'm sure it's very different from the XT? And yes, I hear you on going hardware!

Haha, black is badass!

Anyway, I think you misread. It's the POD HD Pro, I'm sure it's very different from the XT? And yes, I hear you on going hardware!

Sorry.. I was at work, using a phone so I couldn't see your post when I was writing mine. But neither do I have experience in POD HD Pro's tuner.

the pitchblack wont fix your tuning woes. the fact is guitars are imperfect instruments and the lower you go the worse it gets. the pitch going lower as the note decays is normal. bigger strings and longer scale guitars will help with this problem. tuneing for the part your recording will help a lot.