A way of silently recording with my 8100, not sure if it will cause any damage?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
In reference to my Marshall 8100 (it's a solid state amplifier with a series FX loop). I emailed Marshall to see if it is OK to run without the cab connected but they replied with, "We recommend you have a cabinet connected at all times."

So I started looking for a way around this without disconnecting the cab. Silent recording its a bit of must for me really so as not to piss-off the neighbours!

When using the line-out jack the sound still comes out of the cab BUT if I use the FX send jack and run that directly into my DAW and turn the FX mix knob all the way to the right (EFF) the sound no longer comes out of the cab!

This means I can run this signal into impulses etc.

Question is - do you think this could harm the amplifier head at all?

Dude, just above where you made the post there is a guide to making home made dummy loads:lol:

Could anyone else shed any light on this?

It seems to be working OK and if there isn't any likely implications of damage when doing this, it could be useful for anyone else who has one of these heads and is looking for a quick way of silently recording (without having build or buy a dummy load!).

Solid State power amp + no cab = no problem! (unless it has an output transformer, like the Peavey XXL, though I've never known of any other amp besides the Peavey that was like that, and it should be easy enough to tell - look for a bit metal box sticking out somewhere on the chassis ;))

Solid State power amp + no cab = no problem! (unless it has an output transformer, like the Peavey XXL, though I've never known of any other amp besides the Peavey that was like that, and it should be easy enough to tell - look for a bit metal box sticking out somewhere on the chassis ;))

Hey thanks Metaltastic, I'm not too hot on the technical side of things!

Nice Marshall the 8100 is.

:kickass: