Abominations of Desolation

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Well I finally tracked down a copy of this today (by accident really), and all I can say is wow. Very much akin to Altars of Madness, but dare I say upon the first listen it's better. Very raw playing, but the recording sounds better than Altars does. The bass run in Angel of Disease is better than on Covenant, too. :D

I like Altars Of Madness Better. Yeah, The Abominations Of Desolation is good, but I think that the production and general sound takes a way from it. It doesn't really sound like death metal.

I really like Abominations. It's got a totally different atmosphere than Altars, and yes, the playing is a little sloppy, but the guitar tone and dirty vibe give it a really dark feeling. IMO, it sounds like Venom, but more occult, and serious because MA were really serious about what they were doing (Venom always had a tongue in cheek element to their music). The leads are mind blowing! I suppose that Trey was quite off of his rocker at that point. I listened to it a lot when I first got it, and after hearing Mike Browning on there, I got curious and checked out Nocturnus' The Key, where he plays drums and sings too.

Abominations is cool but Dave Vincent's voice sounds like an adolescent whose voice is breaking at time. Very cool to have all the same though, but Altars is better.