About GIT

TexPedigo

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2007
Chris,
I found out about you recently on MI's website, and frankly I'm blown away. Regardless, right now I'm attending Indiana University and I'm minoring in Classical Guitar and plan on attending MI after I'm done here. Any suggestions on what i should practice in order to get a step ahead once i get there, I plan on making my concentration metal guitar and have been playing for about 6 years now.

Thanks,
TeX

Chris,
I found out about you recently on MI's website, and frankly I'm blown away. Regardless, right now I'm attending Indiana University and I'm minoring in Classical Guitar and plan on attending MI after I'm done here. Any suggestions on what i should practice in order to get a step ahead once i get there, I plan on making my concentration metal guitar and have been playing for about 6 years now.

Thanks,
TeX

I would say:

Sight reading
Ear training
Theory
Modes, Pentatonics, Harmonic and melodic mi
Chord voicings

Thats all AHAHAHAHHHAA!!!

Chris.

whoa whoa dont get too detailed there. Youre a friggin comedian. Like tellin a guy wanting to train for a marathon to just run. Welp thanks for ..everything ill work on that stuff seeya in a year or 2.

To avoid spamming, Im posting this here........obviously

Im a senior in high school. I began playing guitar less than a year ago. I have plans for my first year after high school. After that though, its open ended. I HOPE to go to GIT, but Im not sure if ill be good enough in a year, besides, they require 3 years minimum. I was thinking of having a year of intensive practice before I go, meaning i would begin in fall of 2010. So far, Im practicing solos, chords daily, scales: major minor and pentatonic, changing keys and modes, and im starting on sweep picking. (It makes me hate life, but itll be worth it). How should I spend this time in order to have a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. Damn my late start.

I'm not at GIT but I am a classical guitar major. One thing that I've noticed which has helped my playing drastically is almost a set routine. Make sure you have set of examples or exercises that directly correspond with techniques you are working with. Aside from that, another tip is as you're practicing your scales sing them out loud as you go. You might start missing notes if you're doing a two or three octave scale pattern, but don't worry about it, just keep on going.

Oh, and make sure you get that routine in daily, even if you don't have time to practice for an excessive amount of time in a day, just make sure to get that small routine in! Anyways, Im sure chris may have some more tips!