NEW IBANEZ PRODUCTION IBANEZ RG2228-GK 8 STRING

Darin J Moore

May 7, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Hey Chris! Hope all is well! I was just wondering if you're planning on attending the NAMM Show ( figured you might be ). If you happen by the Ibanez Booth, be sure to check out the new Production Ibanez RG2228-GK 8 string guitar and let us know what you think. Curious on your thoughts - I see it has a Fixed Edge III-8, non routed Bridge and 2 x EMG 808 Pickups ( not sure if I'm crazy about either of these ). Hope to see ya soon!

i really want this guitar, and i havent heard anything about it expect that its an 8 string

just so i can say i have one more string then a 7 string

:)

I have seen it and will try it out, but I haven't heard anything that has made me want to pick one up (seems to go into that distorted bass range). I am more interested in the S 7-string because of the new trem.

Chris.

yes, it will be interesting, guage, etc. Some issues would be, will you be able to find strings, doubt there will be many pickup replacement options, especially with the EMG's, etc. Curious about a scale length too. Guess Munkey had one on Korn's Family value's Tour, Rusty Cooley's another guy that's had one. Think there's photos & videos floating around of some of the above. Fairly pricey too what I seen in the new catalog.

I have a student right now that is stringing his 7 with a high A and It broke twice in one lesson. hopefully they make a thiner string for it.

Chris.

When you get a chance Chris, did you get a chance to check out the RG2228 or the S7320? Thoughts? I think we probably have alot of the same issues with trems - I'm curious about the ZR tremelos myself. Reading up on them, sounds like it could have some cool features:
A "tremsetter" or "backstop-like" device to provide counter pressure, to allow a return to "zero" (neutral) in case of string breakage. Should a G, B, or high E string break, the guitar will stay close enough in tune to allow the player to finish the song before having to replace the string. The ZR (Zero Resistance) tremolo uses roller bearings to eliminate the inherent friction of the knife edge tremolo design—the ZR actually has the "frictionless" feel of a standard tremolo. The roller bearings provide a much smoother feel and a more accurate return to pitch. Consistent return to the zero point (center point) after arm use; guitar remains in tune. String replacement is much quicker than a standard tremolo. Tremolo will not move during "double stopping" (a major complaint of locking trem users)., etc. I was surprised to read that this is another Korean produced guitar as opposed to Japan made.
Bet the Engl booth was cool too!

When you get a chance Chris, did you get a chance to check out the RG2228 or the S7320? Thoughts? I think we probably have alot of the same issues with trems - I'm curious about the ZR tremelos myself. Reading up on them, sounds like it could have some cool features:
A "tremsetter" or "backstop-like" device to provide counter pressure, to allow a return to "zero" (neutral) in case of string breakage. Should a G, B, or high E string break, the guitar will stay close enough in tune to allow the player to finish the song before having to replace the string. The ZR (Zero Resistance) tremolo uses roller bearings to eliminate the inherent friction of the knife edge tremolo design—the ZR actually has the "frictionless" feel of a standard tremolo. The roller bearings provide a much smoother feel and a more accurate return to pitch. Consistent return to the zero point (center point) after arm use; guitar remains in tune. String replacement is much quicker than a standard tremolo. Tremolo will not move during "double stopping" (a major complaint of locking trem users)., etc. I was surprised to read that this is another Korean produced guitar as opposed to Japan made.
Bet the Engl booth was cool too!

I got to play both the 8 string and the S-7. The 8 didn't do it for me, I could hear the same pitches that I hear on the more recent Meshuggah CD's and at that pitch it looses to much defininition and punch, who knows though I might still pick one up. The ZR trm is nice, I really like the ball bearing cam but I think that it's an apples/oranges choice (smoother feel or faster response).

Chris.

An 8 string would be cool, but I think it's a bit of a case of having something just for the sake of it... I would like to get a 7 string though, eventually, that would really open up a whole new world of riffing and massive arpeggios... :headbang: